Sign in to follow this  
tecwritr

Looking for a stencil cutting machine

I am new at this so bare with me. I'm taking up airbrush art and want to create my own stencils. I need to keep the price down because this is for a hobby and I'm retired.

I'm considering the 28 inch MH. I looked at the Silhouette Curio but I don't like the limited size or the software.

Is the MH the right way to go?

Good evening mate,

Depending on the size of the stencils you need and your budget I'd recommend one of four things:

1:Silhouette Cameo: Can be had for $250 and cuts 12". Manufactured by Graphtec so it is reliable and well supported. Fair resale value

2: UScutter SC cutter: Costs $370. supposedly more reliable than the MH series. More well supported, but still entry level. poor resale value

3: Uscutter MH cutter: Costs $300. Can do detail that matches even good cutters, but quality control is a mixed bag. Very flaky and temperamental. (I started with one of these) poor resale value

4: Used Graphtex Craft robo pro CE-5000-40. $400-$500 Very reliable 15" cutter. You can always get a good part of your money back. Graphtec is an industry standard.

In my opinion, unless money is tight AND the cameo does not cut a wide enough stencil, should you consider the MH. The Graphtec products don't present a heavy opportunity cost as there are always people looking to purchase secondhand units.

As an airbrush painter, I have a 28" cutter and while I rarely go beyond 24", it's nice to have the width for doing multiple mask stencils at one time.

Years back, I had a 12" cutter and it was a challenge on some stencils, because they would end up 12 1/2" and I'd have to try and make them fit properly. Which is why I ended up with a 28".
Even doing the top of a motorcycle tank may push that 12" limit, depending on the tank. 

Edit:
I forgot to mention, if you are going to use the SC, a good exacto knife will be your friend.