mike@thepowdercoater

help please

I am trying to cut this file in 4" wide and 5.25" wide versions.  I have an eps and a jpg file, and I can't get it to cut properly. I've tried sign blazer first, then converting the jpg to eps in inksape and the eps files wont open in SB.

This is hte best I can do:

stoptechscankh5.jpg

On the "STOP" side, it only recognizes the inside of the O and P, but nothing else.

here is the orig. file.

If someone could make me a file I can open with SB to get this done quick I would appreciate it, but more importantly, I need to learn how to do it myself.

ok, what am I doing wrong?  WHen I download it, I can't open it with SB, so I import it, but it still wont cut it.  I really appreciate the help. It will go to the cutter if I don't resize it, but once resized, it doesn't.

I dl'ed huamana's eps file, and it appeared to go through the trial cut just fine... wish I could offer you some help.  :-

When you import it into SB, which option are you selecting on the pop-up screen? I don't remember what it is off hand, but I know that you're supposed to select the top one. (See how observant I am  ;))

Hmm.. what happens when you resize and attempt to send to cut? Does it time out (stall), lock-up, or tell you that there's a communication error? So many variables, but I promise you that when you finally get it setup, it's all gravy from there! Is the settings in the cut screen correct - size wise? I noticed that I can keep different info in the workspace setting vs. the cutter setting. I'm a/r, so I always change both when I change media size.

Keep on posting until we get it right for you!

Thanks!

Had to go out of town due to father in law having surgery, but I played with it while I was gone, and successfully cut the stencils tonite!!!  I may have more questions as I learn, and I appreciate the help quite a bit.  The above file was provided by the manufacturer, next is mastering scanning and converting files on my own.

I'm guessing

Scan

Clean Up

Rasterize (photoshop)

Save as EPS

Import into SB

and Cut?

Guest fivestar

Close, I don't think Photoshop saves it eps files as vector images so it will still have to be vectorized.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope five, you're right ... or at least in the old school version of PhotoShop I have (v.6 - please no laughing  ;)) It'll save .eps, but not in vector.

If I have something on paper that needs to be cut here's my 'trial by fire' process ...

• scan at some ridiculous resolution (usually 300 - 600 dpi)
  • clean it up in PhotoShop (v.6 ... again, no laughing  :)); save an .png file
  • open it up in Inkscape, trace it, dump the image file and save the path file as .eps
  • import into SBE and resize until it's just right  ;D

There's probably an easier, more streamline way of doing it, but I tend to do things the hard way ... makes for better learning nuts.gif

Another way you can make a vector in Photoshop is to trace the paths with the path tool (looks like a pen nib) and then save your path as the "work path" in the path dialog box.  Then you Export paths to Illustrator.  This creates a .AI file.  not sure if you can open it in Inkscape though.

You can also use the magic wand tool to select areas then in the path dialog box - convert the selected black areas to paths.  Then do the export thing.  Always more than one way to skin a cat  ;)

That's right! I totally forgot the pen tool. Hmm... probably because I can't imagine vecotirzing anything by hand rotfl2.gif. I think I've tried the magic wand thing, and it only created more confusion for me. Hmm... I think I need to stick with Inkscape. laugh2.gif

Yea it is not really as easy as Inkscape, but it works. 

I hand drew this image from a photograph using the pen method.  Worked well for a custom job.

post-2248-12986518123497_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986518136132_thumb.jpg