Sign in to follow this  
ratchet698

Need to reboot everytime

I have not seen this discussed yet but I have everything installed as described in many areas of this forum. I am using SignBlazer with the MH721 Windows XP on a Dell USB setup. I can open the program do a design cut it then close program. Sounds great :P but when I reopen the program the cutter no longer exists its there but I cannot get it to print. I have to reboot my PC and go through all the installations all over again setting to COM1 using the USB to serial convertor blah blah blah... Any ideas? I had this on another PC as well and it did the same thing I had to reboot everytime before it was seen to communicate properly.

sounds like you aren't saving your settings properly. Culd be a bug in the SB version you have though. Try re-posting this is the SIGNBLAZER section and see if Bruce picks up on it.

Actually it doesn't matter if I use SB or Flexi. Today I tried it and it shows up in Device Manager and everywhere its supposed to but the production manager says it cannot open port. All the settings match (9600 8 n 1 Harware) through all (Device Manager, Production Manager, and printers). I rebooted several times still no go. Finally I thought I would just unplug it and plug it back in (just the USB part) that worked I was able to use the program. Now I am scared to shut the program down in case I loose it all again. I have saved all the settings I can still gives me grief. I do not have this problem with the Roland or my Raven. But the only difference on them is they both use a printer cabel to LPT1. I tried the cable from the Raven and Roland and it wont even recognise the Refine MH721. My boss bough this last year sometime and dumped it in my lap. He stated he had to reboot the PC he was using everytime he wanted to use it.

ah...I think I known what's going on...you are losing your USB connection. Unplugging the USB cabloe re-establishes it. When this happened to me,it was as simple as the USB cable being lose,wiggling a bit.

But I think you are safe to shut the program down, as long as when you open it again,you just unplus the USB and plug it in again.

Well I shut it down and opened it again. It worked. Seems that if I have to reboot PC I am in trouble with this particular cutter. The cabels were not touched or move so I am not sure how it can loose connection. I have been an IT for the company for 30 years and seems odd. If the cutter looses power I also go thru this issue. I just tried unplugging it from outlet. Well when I did that the USB was not picked up. I had to unplug the USB plug it back in. We all know how reliable power can be so this is also an issue. My other cutters do not loose but then again they are using LPT1. Any other ideas? I do not have to do this routine with my USB printers and plotters only the cutter.

If you have the option, use the serial connection instead of the USB. I was having similar problems. When I switched to serial they went away.

John I just baught a new toshiba laptop to run my cutter,it has 1 serial port on side. I had hopes to use it to connect my cutter. It can be used as a external monitor connection as well. I hope this will run cutter,for I had the same problem wiyth cutter locking up. Iswitch to parraell port  not a problem since.

Wish I did my PC has LPT1 and USB only there is no Serial port to use. I do not have any PC's left with 9 pin serial.

Add in a serial card they are cheap now.

I have heard more than one person say that the parallel port worked when nothing else would. If it works,go with it.

I have heard more than one person say that the parallel port worked when nothing else would. If it works,go with it.

I won't argue with that but many, as I am, still use the parallel port for a printer.

Guest Terry

I had that box Banner going to a Roland and to an Encad at my old job. Also had a printer key in line, kind of like a dongle but it srews right in to the port like a monitor fitting.

I had that box Banner going to a Roland and to an Encad at my old job. Also had a printer key in line, kind of like a dongle but it srews right in to the port like a monitor fitting.

I am seeing those a lot at yardsales and church bazzaars too...usually $1 or less. I buy computer parts every chance I get. Today,in fact, I bought 2 cards that will add a parallel and serial to a computer. Problem...they are the old ISA types so unless your computer has an ISA slot...but the whole lot was only a dime...Got a few nice cables in the lot too.

Anyone want or need one of teh cards.pm me...a few bucks postage and I'll send.

Guest Terry

I have a drawer full of cables and fittings of all sorts. And lots of computers in basement for parts.

yeah,me too. It's nice to know that I can lay my hands on just about anything I need,and for cheap too. I would cry all the way home if I had to pay Circuit City price for a cable.

I've seen problems with saving settings like this with other progams that were linked to OS problems. Try setting up with a clean OS install. Or add in a serial card as I suggested.

http://www.pcimicro.com/.sc/ms/dd/1076230412266759/9/nc/Controller%2520Cards--Serial%2520Port%2520Adapter/2406/SYBA%2520PCI%2520to%25202-Serial%2520%2526%25201-Parallel%2520port%2520host%2520controller%2520card