Sign in to follow this  
Primal Decals

Help with design?

Im not sure what its called so i made a new thread. What i want to do is learn to take an image and have text go thru it,But have the text as a single layer and the image as a single layer, so i have to place the text where its cut out on the image. The place where the text will be placed is blank but shows an outline of the text or whatever i choose to have there.I hope i explained what i want,And not knowing what its called is hard to find it as well to give an example for others .. Hope someone can understand gibberish haha.. Thnx For your time ..I use Ai and i have SCAL Pro 3 and Photoshop. Thanx Goose for catching my mistake lol

You are going to need to tell us what program you are wanting to use to create this. There are many options out there and a lot of them go about these kinds of things differently although at the end of the day it may be the same results. To truly help you learn it your program info will be needed. 

Hi Goose lol  I just noticed i left that out and your message popped up as i was gonna fix the left out info ..I use Ai cs6 and i have SCAL Pro 3 and photoshop

I can help with AI. I use CS5 but there is very little different in your version. IMO I would just use SCALP for cutting. 

In AI once you have your lower (back) object you will obviously place your text over the top. At that point you need to convert it to outlines. If you want it directly punched though the back object then just convert the text to a compound path Object>compound path>make. (if your lower object is not a single object or had multiple pieces you will need to also convert it to a compound path too.) Copy the top object to your clipboard and then select both objects and in the pathfinder pallet use the minus front button and it will punch out the top object. Next in the edit menu use the "paste in place" option and it will return your original into the space you just cleaned out. 

If you want an outline around the text then after you turn it into a compound path use the object>path>offset path to make a new object out where you want the hole punched through and use that object with the lower one and just leave the original in place and you will have a space around it to the lower object. 

Side note. Usually when you perform an operation on a compound path such as text Illustrator will leave often leave it as a group when the operation is over which doesn't matter unless you need to do another operation with the same object and it will need to be made back into a compound path. I just keep an eye on it in the payers panel and it will either be a group toggled shut or just a compound path.