Sign in to follow this  
NukleoN

Problems Contour-Cutting With LP24: Drift, Inconsistent Outlines, Etc.

Hey everyone,

Need some help here.

I'm contour cutting with a USC LP24. So, I am printing on vinyl, applying a cold laminate to the vinyl and then contour-cutting with SignCut ProdPro.

I have one good file with an outline that I like, and I've copied that image and cutline across most of a letter-sized sheet. So, it's one file, but there might be six or eight decals I am trying to cut on one sheet.

Trouble is, some parts of the letter vinyl cut ok (upper left decal) but lower down on the sheet, the cuts are progressively too 'low' or there's some kind of 'drift' being introduced. And, this seems consistent. So, the top line looks ok (left better than right) and then the middle two look worse (cuts are getting lower) and the bottom two on the sheet look terrible (most drift).

Any ideas on what this could be? I'm thinking that the cutter is not physically holding the paper very well, because what else would explain the drift?

I've checked the Illustrator file and because I copied the first good image and cutline, I know they're all good. All cutlines are in correct position. I am using a Clean Cut blade with .25mm offset (45 degree blade). That is all good.

I am gonna try another file, but this is happening with two different designs...one is a 6-sticker per sheet design and one is an 8-sticker per sheet design. Both have drift.

I've read through my manual, and nowhere does it talk about adjusting the 'set screws' for the grit rollers. Can anyone explain how to do this? I make heavy use of my cutter and have never replaced grit rollers or pinch rollers, and haven't adjusted any set screws.

Any help is appreciated, customer waiting and my mental health depends on it. ;)

Thanks,

Spacepod

Anyone?

What I've noticed is that some files cut ok, and some files do not. So, this file seems to have all kinds of issues cutting, but another file contour-cuts just fine. So, maybe the pinch rollers are not the issue.

I've tried saving the outline as an Illustrator 8 file instead of relying on the SignCut plugin, and that helps a little but I am still getting a lot of drift in these particular files. Any other ways to fix this short of creating a new contour outline?

I may try placing the elements in another fresh Illustrator file.