Sign in to follow this  
tooler82

Cutter ripping and not cutting

I keep having this problem. Is it the space is to close? I've changed blades and it's still doing it.

post-80805-0-42437200-1397756146_thumb.j

what is the material you are cutting?  looks like it might be a thick laminated print.  what blade are you using?

cleancut 60 degree and oil the holder shroud cut thru about anything.  it is catching like too much blade, not turning freely and maybe to fine for a 30 degree blade.  so it isn't laminated and is tearing?     why a 30 degree blade?

That's what came with the machine. Who knows lol. When the Army wants something, they put it out for a bid. The company who won the bid sent us the setup.

maybe someone with that set up will have more ideas but I use a 60 degree cleancut in all my holders - sharper and when adjusted properly clean cuts every time

• Like 2

How big is this? 30 deg blade should not be used for something that is laminated and small like this appears to be. 

But the bigger problem might be how long after printing are you cutting? And is it laminated or just printed? If not laminated your going to need to wait a few hours if not overnight to let it gas before you cut it that that small. 

• Like 1

It's 1/2 inch letters. It's not laminated. It's just regular 3M Scotchcal Vinyl. It's a Mimaki CJV30-130. It prints it and then cuts it so it cuts immediately.

ohhhhh ya, you can not cut on a full bleed like that right after printing. That would need to sit for overnight before it would cut correctly. The vinyl itself will be way to gummy to cut in them corners.

• Like 1

good catch shawn - I wasn't thinking about that = it looked so shiny that I thought it was laminated

The problem with that on this style is it's hard to get it lined back up to cut it the next day

I'll set the cutter on the registration marks and cut it, and it's off and not exactly on the print then when I do that. It's so aggravating.

Well I let it sit for awhile before cutting it and it did better, but the centers of the A's are still ripping instead of cutting. Guess I'll have to exactoknife all of the A's.