squelch

Cutter snagging vinyl and pulling it up. How to fix?

When trying to cut out some letters for a 5" decal, my PCut would pull up the corners on some of the tighter turns.  Once an edge comes up, it gets snagged by the blade holder and then pulled up farther.  By the time cutting is done, the entire word is ruined.  I am still trying to get this thing dialed in, so I suspect it is an improper setting.  Or could it be the vinyl?  I currently have offset at 30 and downforce at 100 and speed is 30.  I don't know if these are good settings or not.  I am still having trouble getting the image to completely release from the weeding and my corners are not completely square.  They are a bit rounded.  I don't know what brand of vinyl I have.  It is some cut-offs I got from EBay to practice with. 

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

Chuck

I'm fairly new with vinyl cutting but I ve had similar problems. Here are some suggestions that work for me.

Slow the cutting speed, From what I've read the finer detail cutting requires a slower cutting speed

Check blade depth I have been steeing my blade so it is just bearly sticking out of the holder.

Consider a 60 degree blade

Cutting pressure, 100 sounds high to me. I am using FDC and have been cutting around 30 If I switch to MacTac I have to increase the pressure by 10

Hope this helps

I got that problem a few times... it was either because I was trying to cut something that was so minute, that even if I could weed it successfully, who could read or see it? Hahaha.

The other times it's happened to me is because the blade (and/or) the blade holder was dirty. I started a whole other tread asking about the best practices for cleaning the blade:

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,4506.0.html

I found that some vinyls just have really gummy adhesive ... my blade gets dirty quick.

Thanks for the reply guys.  You are the best!  I was able to solve the problems thanks to the tutorial in the link above.  It was basically due to a combination of too much blade depth and too much pressure.

However, I am still unable to get good square corners and getting the cuts to complete.  From all of the posts I have read, these are typically offset problems.  I have tried offsets in SignBlazer of .10, .20, .25, .30, .40 with none giving me fully cut out letters or nice sharp corners.  It has a brand new blade and I have checked any nicks or debris.  Can anyone please give me a solution?  I will post pix later.

Thanks,

Chuck