Guest gracewriter

Help, I need my "A" HOLE, please advise

Guest gracewriter

Hi,

I originally bought the Pcut to do my own throwaway stencils for hand painted signs.  (after I saw the price of actual stencil cutters for mylar I went into sticker shock.)The white paint mask I purchased for $98.00 for 20 yards is going to go fast and is pretty pricey.  I need something I can use over and over again.

Specifically I would like to be able to cut Mylar at about 14 mils.  Looks like it can be done with the Pcut.

My problem is I mostly do words.  After I weeded my first job last night I realized that there are too many cuts to make a reusable stencil without the backing paper to hold things together.

How do I tell signblazer not to make so many cuts?  For instance the letter "A" has an "A" hole.  I need that hole to stay attached to the stencil.

If I pull the "A" off the "A" hole has nothing to attach itself to to the outline of the stencil.

The A I would be pulling off I would throw away and use the outline.

Does this make sense?

I did a scrolly "B" stencil last night and had lots of "B" holes left over I had to weed out. I need those holes to create a reusable stencil.

Do I need to upgrade my software or can this be done.

Thanks.

You could create your text then use the polyline function to create shapes bridging between the out side of the letter and the "Hole".  Use Arrange + Weld + Punch Through  to cut through them like a stencil font. I will try to create one later to show you. I am not at my sign machine right now.

Guest gracewriter

Thanks.  I have no idea what you are saying but am on the edge of my seat hoping I can figure it out.

Just wish there was a button I could push that says, "Stencil" and the software knew what I was talking about.

I'll go play with what you said and see if I can figure it out.  Be back later....

I am so grateful for this forum.  Glad to be here.

Best,

Jude

thanks for creating the most interesting subject line I've seen in awhile.

I think what jay suggested is spot-on.

There are of course, actual stencil fonts to be had,I have a few somewhere.

Guest gracewriter

I was just frantically searching the net for stencil fonts.  I figured there had to be some out there somewhere.  Man, I wish I knew what I was doing!

Come to think of it I'm probably going to have the same problem with the graphics I want to do to as stencils too.  Shoot!

Guest gracewriter

The script I'm trying to turn into a stencil is Balmoral Script (SBF_B004).  Looks rather challaging.  I'm trying to follow your directions right now.  I'll probably be back with more questions.

Thanks!

would something like this help? I have an entire family of this font in various configurations

post-249-12986516724923_thumb.jpg

post-249-12986516738417_thumb.jpg

Guest gracewriter

Thanks very much but I really need script fonts.  I've done what he said, but now can't figure out how to cut the lines through the text.  Any suggestions?

I'm not at my signblazer computer right now, did you try the weld and punch through?

One thought...you can always attach the font along with the a-holes to a bit of screen printing fabric.

Guest gracewriter

Thanks.  I selected weld and punch through, now I'm using the polyline to make little slits in the places where the wholes are, at least that's what I think I"m doing.  I think they are going to need to be bigger slits.

What the heck is punch through?

no idea. I just always use total weld. Punch through was Jay's idea and he knows more about SB than I do.

Guest gracewriter

Is weld for when you have two images that overlap each other?

This is what I did. The first group of letters is just text.

The second I used the polyline function in signblazer to create some shapes that I want to cut through my letters to bridge them together.

In the third I used Arrange + Weld + Punch through to cut away where my polyline shapes crossed my letters. Once I deleted the polylines this is what I am left with.

Let me know if you think this will work for you or if you have any other questions.

Stencil.SBD

Guest gracewriter

OK, so make the poly lines first then do the punch weld thing?

Yes, The polylines allow you to connect the centers "Holes" with the material outside of the text to hold them together. Are you using SignBlazer or another program?

Guest gracewriter

I'm using signblazer.  I just did the polyine and now it won't let me weld.

Guest gracewriter

It wouldn't weld because I didn't have it selected.  I just welded but now it won't let me punch through.

Thank you for our patience.

Tykite, I think we are saying the same thing but you make yours sound easier. We should post yours in the tutorials. I'm sure this will come up again.

Guest gracewriter

Wow, that's beautiful.  Your instructions look like I can figure it out.  I'll try it now.  how do you delete the polylines?  If you already answered that question in your instructions don't bother saying it again.

I'll go back and study them now.

Thanks a million!

You people are so kind and amazing.  You have no idea how relieved and happy I am.

Guest gracewriter

Just a suggestion before you post this somewhere else, let me try it out first.  Since I am a complete novice I may be able to help you write it better if I have more questions.  I'll be back in a few to let you know if I could do it.

Thanks!

Guest gracewriter

Having a problem.

I drew the lines with the polyline feature.  Then I selected all, then went to the Arrange, weld, but it is not allowing me to weld or punch through.  Those options are greyed out.

Any suggestions?

Select everything by dragging a rectangle around your design then try again.

Guest gracewriter

I tried that and the polylines just disappeard.  Maybe they're still there and I just can't see them?