Sign in to follow this  
nutster44

Help with 2 letter colors???

Hi there..Im slowly getting all this cutting stuff down...I have a question maybe someone can walk me through..I have seen signs with letter that have a background or shadow..I know you have to use like 2 colors and place one on top of another but my question is..If I write a word, i use illustrator, how do I put a background letters that are bigger so i can put them on top..I know this sounds weird, I may have not worded it correctly but hopefully you know what Im saying..Here is a sign put in the forum by sashatronics..see how the white in the back is larger and the silver on the top is smaller...Thanks..Hope  you dont mind me reposting your pic. sashatronics..

post-983-1298651638573_thumb.jpg

post-983-1298651639281_thumb.jpg

Once you have your text in Illustrator convert them to outlines, then go to Object, Path, Offset Path and play with the setting till you get something you like. Once you have your offset path set unngroup the image and select the offset parts and change the color.

That is awesome...I really appreciate it...Been playing with it a bit, about to get it down...Thanks again...

Guest Terry

One more thought, I have noticed when I'm done and save as AI... The text is wrong in my cutting software, sometimes spacing, sometimes the font, but when I save as eps, it works. Just a heads up for ya.

Thanks Terry, I really appreciate your knowledge. I tried this and found exactly what you are saying. The background letters are not always there, like it doesnt show where the letters on the back overlap..I guess I will keep trying...Thanks again..