Sign in to follow this  
smendlik

Best vinyl for tablet graphics

I'm planning on making some decals for my iPad and my daughters tablet and was looking for a recommendation on whether I should use Oracal 631 or 651? 

I have been using 651 for mine and my step daughter nexus 7's. You're going to want something that holds really well since the decals will get rubbed a lot.

Cool, thanks.  I was thinking 631 to make it easier to someday remove.  I didn't think about the manhandling that will need to be endured so 651 does make sense.

If your design will be near the edges of the tablet where it will be frequently handled, then you'll definitely want to go with 651 or better - if it will be confined to the center of the tablet where it won't be touched (much) while being held, then you can probably get by 631.

I've put designs on joysticks and other gaming controls and then covered them with Oracal 651 Transparent to "seal" it in and keep it from being rubbed off during use.

At the video gaming conference I sponsored last year, we had an original Nintendo gaming system and a large joystick controller that were autographed by various people who are well known in the video gaming field and then I cut and placed Oracal 651 Transparent over that, again to keep it from being rubbed off.

You should be able to find template files online that will let you cut a perfect cover for the back of your tablet, if you choose to go that route.

Another option that I've just discovered are SubliWrap sheets from Conde Systems that will let you sublimate a design onto a removable, adhesive vinyl sheet that can be cut to fit most devices.  A 10 pack of 8.5x11" sheets is around $18 as I recall.  They also sell sheets that are die-cut specifically for the iPhone.  Of course that option is only useful if you have access to a printer and heat press set up for dye sublimation, but if you do... then the possibilities for designs are endless...

I would suggest 751 because it is a little thinner so it would look and feel more like paint,  and also would probably hold up better than the 651.

I use 631 on mine without too many issues. I have it wrapped around the corners of my laptop and it has some cracking but there is little or no radius on the corners. It's from sliding it in and out of my backpack. I've had it on for over a year and a half of daily use and travel.

post-1636-0-65634900-1359650507_thumb.jp

Great information, thanks everyone!  I just got my cutter delivered today, can't wait to get to work tonight and start to figure this all out!

I used 631 on my laptop, mainly because I think graphics for these type of electronics look better in a matte finish...I started with 651, but had way too many fingerprints and markings....was always having to wipe it down.  I guess it's just personal preference.

I used 631 on my laptop, mainly because I think graphics for these type of electronics look better in a matte finish...I started with 651, but had way too many fingerprints and markings....was always having to wipe it down.  I guess it's just personal preference.

Wow, that's just the opposite of what I've experienced - the matte surface of 631 seems to hold onto greasy fingerprints, where as the smooth surface of 651 can be easily wiped clean...

Wow, that's just the opposite of what I've experienced - the matte surface of 631 seems to hold onto greasy fingerprints, where as the smooth surface of 651 can be easily wiped clean...

Yeah, I got fingerprints with both, but seen less on the matte finish...plus more smudges on the 651.