Sign in to follow this  
Monkey

3 color

Did my first 3 color layered decals today. Little nerve racking on the first one. Trying to make sure and do it in the right order. Wish I had med tack clear tape cause I would take pictures of the stuff ive done but I use the paper tape and cant really see it until its applied to something and these are going to family in Michigan.

I have some Greenstar clear tape but it says not to be used with Greenstar vinyl and is high tack so little nervous of trying it with anything. Little odd it comes in a package deal with 12 rolls of greenstar vinyl but ok lol. I seem to be doing more 2 color decals then single. Thank goodness for having a light box or I would have pulled my hair out by now.

Im really glad I found this forum. I may not know a whole lot still, but Id still be sitting here trying to make a decal without this forum lol.

• Like 1

Hi!  When you use the greenstar clear transfer tape stick it to your shirt a few times to reduce the tackiness of the tape before putting it on vinyl to transfer.  Sometimes I use the same piece of transfer tape quite a few times before I toss it.

-Scott

Agree with speleopower. Only thing I do differently is that I use one, or several, sheets of clean bond paper to reduce the tack in a controlled way.

Honestly, I think this first roll (RTape AT60) of clear will also be my last. I've layed miles of vinyl in the past with paper tape, and maybe I'm just stuck in my ways, but it simply provides a lot more "tactile control", in my opinion. The registration advantage of clear tape, to me, is quickly deminished by the fact that you can't mist it to encourage it to let go, like you can with paper. And really, all you need with paper is a good light table that has a tempered-glass surface, some knowledge of the old-tricks-of-the-trade regarding color registration, and paper works perfectly, and is cheaper too.