piscespokerbrat

Eff you Dell!!!

I have a Dell Inspiron 7010 thats a pretty good machine overall. Today my sound isnt working.. hmmmm odd I think. I come to find out that there is what is called a sense switch pin inside the headphone jack that is suppose to tell if the headphones are plugged in or not. Well, if I plug and unplug my headphones 10-20 times with a jiggle I might get the internal speakers to work. Then, I come to find out the GD audio jack is part of the motherboard. So if I want to fix this thing, I would have to drop $135 for a new MB. REALLY?:huh: There are seperate compononents (speakers, usb ports, power jack, etc) that are so easily swapped out for $5-10 bucks. Why did Dell decide that the audio needs to be soldered to the GD MB... grrrrrrrr... I think the stoner spokesman guy that used to say "Dude your getting a Dell" shouldve said "Dude Dell is going to screw you hard."

/rant

• Like 1

Almost all laptops are manufactured that way now- HP is even worse if you've ever had one apart. In fact, HP hard mounts their power plug directly to a piece on most of their main boards with a small diode and cap next to them- usually this diode fries and you're SOL on the MB. Dell usually has great support- but if you're machine is out of warranty thats how it goes. Did you look on ebay for a main board?

Almost all laptops are manufactured that way now- HP is even worse if you've ever had one apart. In fact, HP hard mounts their power plug directly to a piece on most of their main boards with a small diode and cap next to them- usually this diode fries and you're SOL on the MB. Dell usually has great support- but if you're machine is out of warranty thats how it goes. Did you look on ebay for a main board?

Im not too big of an HP fan. I had an Inspiron before that ran hot as well, but it took my abuse for several years. I know that before the power jacks were soldered to the main board but it seems recognized now that isn't so smart.. lol I think my warranty is up March of next year, I dunno, I would have to check. Ebay is where I found the new Mobo for $135.. I just find that in this world where we are forced to use this technology, cant they at least make it to where stupid little things like thise have to be so danged frustrating and expensive ?!

Well, its not the fact that I like the internal speakers... its just the fact that if I didn't want to put my headphones on for say a 3 minute youtube video or something, ya know? Plus, its a laptop, I mean I want to stay as portable as possible :P

One thing I did on my Dell was to take a qtip or other cotton swab, coat it with contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and insert a few times lightly damp.

you will have to shred most of the cotton off and be careful not to leave any loose enough to get stuck inside.

You bought an Inspiron...entry level notebook. You really shouldn't be complaining, if you get a year out of it, consider yourself luck.

• Like 1

You bought an Inspiron...entry level notebook. You really shouldn't be complaining, if you get a year out of it, consider yourself luck.

That was exactly my thought too.

I don't know how much you paid, but if you compare the Latitude Business class (all metal hinges to boot) to the Inspiron all plastic thing, you could get a comparable one for about the same price. The screen size would be the only major difference.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17r-5720/pd

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e5530/fs

Ya, my Inspiron is a 17.3, bluray, core I5, 8gb memory, 1300 fsb, 500gb hd.. paid $420 for it when it was 3 months old (Amazon was selling it for $750 at the time). I figured that was a decent deal *shrugs*.

That is a sick deal, I'm not hatin' (ok I am) :) but you get what you pay for. I have a first gen core i5 Latitude and its a great notebook. I've had it for a year and a half and its still like new.

• Like 1