TSR6

Newbie Questions!! - And help me select...maybe..

Hey everyone.

I've been browsing USCutter & a few others for a couple weeks.  Here is my background story:

I am one of two drivers for a family owned race team.  We also have a family business with a little under a dozen trucks, several of which need to be lettered before spring, along with 2 race cars that also need to be lettered before the start of April.  We started punching numbers, and figured if we can get a cutter, the program, and the vinyl for under $1,000 - then we would at the very least pay off the materials if not save money over our normal sign shop source.  We also have the oppertunity to maybe do lettering for a small handful of local race teams should time permit.

Now our local guy does race-car roof numbers in two pieces.  His cutter is not very wide.  I figured we need at LEAST a 28"-30" cutter to do roof numbers.  Probably more so the 30" range.  I have been looking mostly at the 36" cutters due to this fact.

Now my questions are... 

Obviously all the lettering we'd do would not be the larger vinyl.  What sizes to rolls come in?  Would I always have to buy 35" vinyl for a 36" cutter ( from what I have read, you always buy an inch down, correct? )  Could I say...buy a roll of say 15" vinyl for lettering the work trucks & the fenders of the race car, and save the larger rolls for the door & roof numbers of the race car ( less weeding waste ), or would I always need to buy the size vinyl for that size cutter?

I have an older computer ( 4-5 years old ) with Windows ME, and a brand new laptop with Vista.  I would like to be able to use both computers to cut, as I would probably do most of my intricate design work on the laptop, since I have Adobe Illustrator CS3 on it.  Will the Signblazer that comes with a USCutter run on both platforms?

Next:  From what I've read, I can save my Illustrator as a .eps and import it into Signblazer for the cut.  True, correct?  What is the purpose of importing?  Can I can directly from Illustrator?

I'm assuming SignBlazer puts the "locator" dots or targets on both sheets automatically for shadowed effects and such?  Thats my biggest concern is lining up such things since I'm such a perfectionist when it comes to vinyl ( and also why im almost afraid to get my own machine - when you pay a lot for the sign guy to make the lettering, you're "OK" with it if it's a little crooked - but when it's just my own materials, HA... REDO! lol... )

Lastly...  Which machine would YOU reccomend?  I've been looking at the PCUT 36" just because I need at least 30, but I don't need 40+.  Anything bad about the pcut?

Basically.... I just need someone to push me over the edge and pull the trigger.

Welcome, hopefully i can answer some of your questions...

you dont always have to use the 36" rolls, you can use whatever size you want. In cases where its simple lettering, youll probably find yourself using 12"-15" rolls in order to avoid waste.

as for the issue of multiple computers, the cutter will come with one license, so if you want to use 2 different computers, you will have to purchase another license.

the pcut is a great cutter from what ive heard so far ( no first hand experience) but i hear theyre better than the refine, and my refine is awesome!

for multi color cuts, the software offers alignment mark or registration marks, that you line up the different layers properly.

overall, if the size suits, the pcut would be a great idea if you dont want to go with a 48"+ cutter.

From what I have read you mostly will be cutting smaller than 24"s. If this is the case (unless you have a major issue with it) I would get a 24", layering two pieces to complete a vinyl decal (vinyl number in your case) is just as easy as layering colors. You can setup the guide tabs to line it up perfect every time. Saving you the room in the shop + the cost of the 36".

I don

From what I have read you mostly will be cutting smaller than 24"s. If this is the case (unless you have a major issue with it) I would get a 24", layering two pieces to complete a vinyl decal (vinyl number in your case) is just as easy as layering colors. You can setup the guide tabs to line it up perfect every time. Saving you the room in the shop + the cost of the 36".

I don

what you could do is load the cutting software on the ME machine, and just use your laptop for design... when it comes time to cut, transfer the file to the desktop via usb key...

Yeah, I guess thats the best option.  I was hoping to be able to do both from my laptop, but I think it may be best to use just one source as far as the cutter goes.  Less potential for problems it seems.

I'm going to fdisk the ME machine a little later today, get it all cleaned out and ready.

Sounds like your own your way! :huh:

Be sure to format after that fdisk.

If installing XP, it will do all for you.

Just FYI, not to push the two pc issue but you can seal it with a clear sheet.

Just FMI, these numbers can't be cut long instead of wide? Are each number wider than 24"? IF so thats a HUGE number. Wow!

Eric

Yeah, I just went out and measured the number in the shop.  The current number is 30" x 30", and the previous sign guy had to splice it together at half way.  According to my dad, he even ran it sideways through his machine to get the extra width.  The actual number itself isn't quite that big, but the number's shadow did measure to 30x30 (give or take an inch since I just did a quick-measure..)

The roof numbers kill us.  The door numbers aren't so bad.

Unfortunately, When I Fdisk, WinME will be going back on.

Good news is - If I pull the trigger, from my meeting at lunch I'd already have a customer lined up for quite a bit of work.......  ( not that it completely matters....  thats not the reason we're getting this - but I would like to do work for other people to offset our costs )

ps: this computer has both USB1 and USB2.  Odd eh?

I am not sure where you are getting USB1 and USB2. Seems you are getting info for port numbering.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm this link will explain how to check USB versions. When looking under DM and under the USB host driver look for the word "Enhance" and of course 2.0.  If you see usb 1.1 etc then it's older.

Good luck!  :huh:

Eric

USB2 is port numbering.

If you see USB1.1 anywhere it is 100% USB 1.1 version.

If you have installed a usb 2.0 pci card then you could have both but if not then it is for sure only USB1.1

I would highly recommend you run the machine via standard serial.  Even with 2.0 that system is more than likely lacking enough (horse power) resources.

Take a look at the DM's general tab, what system specs do you get?  Memory, CPU etc?

Eric