splash0321

Creating a design template

I havnt been around the forum for a while (school, etc.) but would like some input from some of the experienced people of the forum. What I want to do is take some of the designs I have in my head and get them into my computer. My designs are vehicle specific. For example, i have several designs where the graphics flow from hood, down the fender, and along the side of the vehicle. Something similar to the style I am envisioning is the cobra jet mustang race car. Designing the hood to scale would be simple, as would the side of the vehicle, but the angles where the two would meet would vary slightly from vehicle to vehicle.

So the question is how do professionals lay their ideas out on a vehicle, then transfer it to the computer. Could you tape paper onto the vehicle, sketch your design onto that paper while its on the vehicle, then pull it all off in one piece and somehow use that as your design template? Im just throwing an idea out there...any help would be appreciated.

post-2237-0-37070100-1342896642.jpg

• Like 1

I have all the templates but it doesnt get me exactly what I need. I mean I can use them to design a kit that is almost perfect....but I like perfect more. When I try to align the fender graphic with the hood graphic they are slightly off. And the graphics follow the body lines of the vehicle so there is really no shifting of the graphics allowed. The problem that I always run into is the transition from fender to hood. If I were installing all of these myself then I could easily modify the kit "on the job" as needed but I sell kits online ...and I want the lesser experienced installer to be able to install this with no modifications needed. maybe im out of luck...doesnt seem like anyone else has ideas...oh well.

I use 2 magnetic tape measures(1 foot long), place them vertical and horizontal on the side of the vehicle. Take a pic load it into photoshop, illy, or coral. Scale to the tape measure. You now have a perfect template that you can design from.

All those templates that are out there are not accurate. The even put it in their disclaimers.

The hood you may even use knifeless tape so that you make sure it lines up to the sides.

Cheers Bruce

• Like 1