kelliann

Glass/Plexiglass panel with logo

I have a client that wants me to make a glass panel with their company logo on it for their waiting room wall. I have been looking into glass and plexiglass for this panel. Tempered Safety Glass is about 1/2 the price of plexiglass, but it is so heavy. The design will be about 3x4, and mounted on the wall, just above the chair rail.

The glass company gave me a few tips:

Glass-Cheper, won't scratch, won't yellow, heavier in weight, easier to clean....

Plexiglass-More expensive, can scratch easily, yellows over time, lighter in weight....

I am leaning toward the safety glass, but before I move forward with it, I am hoping that someone has done something like this before, and can make some recommendations. My concern is safety, so that the panel doesn't fall or break in a high traffice area like a waiting room.

Think of every glass door or window you are around on a daily basis. Tempered glass is pretty durable.

I would use some good quality large standoff studs and then make sure inside the wall has sufficient support. Offer them both and let them decide. Also depending on what's on the backside of that wall, you could cut openings large enough to insert a small chunk of wood or metal for more support and just repair the drywall, they can or sub out drywall repair. MUCH cheaper than an insurance claim or lawsuit if it were to fall (either one) and less than repairing and replacing if someone were to get angry and rip it down.

I live by the "do it once, do it right" school of thought. Overkill is almost always better.

• Like 2