thomasmary

printed decals

We have been discussing doing some printed decals that are contoured cut for outdoor use. What does everyone use as vinyl to print on and what type of inks have you found to be best for outdoor use that last longest? Do you laminate yours?

I have been trying to search and find out what I can about it but what I have found so far is different from one forum to another.

Thomas

What printer do you have? If you have something you can use solvent ink with you do not need to laminate. There are a lot of variables to our question so we need more info....

Right now I have a workforce 1100 loaded with pigment ink. Richard at Cobra Ink says a lot of people use the pigment ink. I also have been reading where others say you have to use solvent ink.

Thats why I asked so I can find out if I need to get another printer to do decals the best way. If I can use the pigment inks then what type vinyl do I need to print onto and can I get away with not having to use laminate?

Basically to print pigment, I use Mactac IJ1958P from signpile.com OR UScutter has their greenstar Aqueous vinyl- which I have not heard much about.

Then use Oracal 210 or Frogjuice for laminate.

Solvent or EcoSol is the BEST way - but be prepared to stack another 0 or two after the price of the printer and supplies than the WF1100 you picked up from richard.

Entry level NEW is the Roland BN20 - which runs about 9000$. BUT it only prints and cuts 20" material... which is tough to find.

Dr12volt1338 and vinylmotivations thank you for the replies. Vinnylmotivations, do you do many of the pigment ink decals? They look good and do they last long?

Thomas

I've been printing with my WF1100 for about a year now. Gone through 2 sets of refills. I print a TON. They seem to last ok. Some, because of the aqueous ink layer the laminate will peel off- and I simply offer customers a replacement if this happens. Otherwise, Who really NEEDS to have the same decal on their car for more than a year or two??? by then it is usually knicked and beat up/dirty anyways.

So far, I have only been able to find a matte white printable material to use in the WF 1100. Are there any glossy inkjet vinyls to use with the WF?