koletsb

General "New Guy" Questions

I have learned so much from this website and I want to say thanks again but i have some more questions

1. What are the basic differences with Die Cut vs Printed Decals? I understand that one is literally printed and the other is cut out but what are the benefits of each one? Are they priced relatively close?

2. Generally, are printed stickers made with inkjet printers? What are basic starter models to get into the printing side of decals?

2a. What is the difference between a plotter and a wide-format printer?

3. Is adding a head press to my equipment add that much of a boost in sales? Is vinyl heat press shirts or items a common purchased item? Or do more often people buy screen printed Items.

4. Are banners with vinyl lettering just banners with normal oracal vinyl lettering stuck on? Or is it heatpressed or is it a special vinyl?

Thanks again and I do know if I were to get into printed decals I would also need to upgrade my cutter to one with contour cutting.

Brandon

well to answer 2a. a plotter to me is the item you find in a drafting shop it uses pens to draw with, as a wide format printer is just like a normal office printer just way bigger. as for #4 it is just regular vinyl but USC is selling insta banner for indoor use. i haven't tried it yet but looks way cool and easy to use just cut and weed and done. as for contour cutting that is a setting in your cut program i think you would need to upgrade to a plotter with a eye, I could be wrong

First off welcome to the site.

I have been working my buddies shop on weekends so I can answer the heat press question. I wish I had the money to add 1 right away. Having a decal shop like my buddy who is training me 50% of his business is walk in and impulse buy from the flash on the walls much like a tattoo shop.

The other 50% are from guys like me who buy cars and use decals to sport them up for resale. out of all this I noticed 25% of his sales are heat transfer sales as in hats and tshirts. They get a decal for thier car then want a shirt or hat to go with it.

However his shop is a niche shop dealing mainly with automotive clip art and such.

So if you have the funds to invest I do suggest a heat transfer machine with the attachments to do hats and mugs.

Myself I am disabled and didn't have those funds available but those thimgs are on my wishlist.

BTW side note I am out till monday, my last weekend of apprenticing wooohoooo! next week I am on my own.

Mark

Myself I am disabled and didn't have those funds available but those thimgs are on my wishlist.

BTW side note I am out till monday, my last weekend of apprenticing wooohoooo! next week I am on my own.

Mark

Since you are disabled have you went to your local job service and seen about a grant a ex friend of ours got a free grant of 5000$ to help start her business she scamed a few people adn lost it but it was a good deal. all she had to do was show a profit for 3 months and the 5000 was hers. If not we are getting a loan from the same place, it is called Sanders county community developement corporation loan application package. They are loans up to 5000$ you would have to ask for it in your own county, but it is basically monies set asside to help small business out.

Hope this will help you out and gratz on you up and coming leaving the nest. :)

Since you are disabled have you went to your local job service and seen about a grant a ex friend of ours got a free grant of 5000$ to help start her business she scamed a few people adn lost it but it was a good deal. all she had to do was show a profit for 3 months and the 5000 was hers. If not we are getting a loan from the same place, it is called Sanders county community developement corporation loan application package. They are loans up to 5000$ you would have to ask for it in your own county, but it is basically monies set asside to help small business out.

Hope this will help you out and gratz on you up and coming leaving the nest. :)

Yes my local vocational rehabilitation service is helping where they can. However financial help is not available in my area as the coffers for such programs are empty but my business plan does not need that kind of help right now. And I found out I can keep getting my disability until my business is making x amount of profit per month consistently over 5 months.

• Like 1

Yes my local vocational rehabilitation service is helping where they can. However financial help is not available in my area as the coffers for such programs are empty but my business plan does not need that kind of help right now. And I found out I can keep getting my disability until my business is making x amount of profit per month consistently over 5 months.

Nice glad to hear that.