I cold called on a business owner who needed new vinyl on his windows. We began talking and he asked me to quote him to replace all of his signs. One in particular is right by the entrance. This is an old painted wood sign. When you touch it, your finger is covered in old dusty paint. I assume there is no way to salvage something like this? Any ideas what would be a good substrate to replace this with? Thanks

post-23527-0-07972000-1332186734.jpg

The Epanel would work well be sure not to get Die bond the e panel works well. and it is a bit cheaper, but only comes in white.But easy to lay down another color of paint or even vinyl. you can cut it with a knife and workable with any woodworking tools. There is also MDO plywood that world well. Bit in my opinion E panel is the best

Thanks Raven. So if I went with MDO, what would be the procudure as far as painting? Do I have to put a coat of laminate or vaneer over the paint for the vinyl to stick?

No just paint it with a good paint i use One Shot enamal with a good primer. I also give my signs a coat or two of Upol car clear makes them last a bit longer and just looks better imo. you may even be able to reuse that sign with a bit of prep work and a good coat of primer. keep me posted on how it turns out :)

It looks like the existing sign is plywood and in decent shape. I would sand, prime, paint, and apply vinyl. And maybe quote on pressure washing the brick and mortar. I am OCD about this stuff.

• Like 1

It looks like the existing sign is plywood and in decent shape. I would sand, prime, paint, and apply vinyl. And maybe quote on pressure washing the brick and mortar. I am OCD about this stuff.

Nice i never thought about adding a cleaning service to. Well thought OCD

Interesting,OCD. How do you figure what to charge for sanding, priming and painting the sign and for power washing the wall? Thanks

Me personally would go at least 2 hours at your shop rate plus paint and supplies. Im just starting in the sign business and what i turn out compared to what the local sign shop here does looks awesome. Their signs are rough, fall down after the first wind storm or two, ect..

On something like that time and material is about the only way and still cheaper then buying a new panel cuting ,preeping , painting etc. Just make that the panel is good and solid and redo it. looks like it was sheltered so it should be fine . PS a coat of Frog juice over the whole sign will help protect it from the sun.

Dan