Tammyj

Pretend I don't even know what a cutter is or does

Okay help me out pretend I don't know what a cutter is or does ( I really do have a clue) and explain to me in very simple terms what I could do with it. (beyond cutting vinyl letters, that I get).

you can use them to decorate clothing (with heat transfer vinyl and a heat press) make stencils for etching glassware, um, what else...

You can also use it as a plotter to plot CAD designs, or other designs. Paint mask stencils, sandblast stencils for etching (like mentioned above). Mostly cuts different types of vinyl though. Vinyl for clothing, vinyl for vehicles, storefronts, banners, sandwich boards, etc. Even vinyl for indoor use on walls and such.

Thanks, that helps, I'm most interested in using paper goods for posters etc, This will work right? Don't want a cricut cutter don't want to keep pruchasing dies.

Cricut doesnt use dies and there is software to cut whatever from the computer you want- but a vinyl cutter you can think of as a printer that instead of having ink and a print head, has a computer controlled razor blade that cuts whatever shapes you tell it to. However if youre wanting to cut paper products, you will need to know how to set the blade depths and speed very very well or youll just shred paper. You will also need a backing pad which holds the paper in position to cut.

Take a look here at a cutter that may suit your needs if you are wanting to buy one, and are on a budget.

Take a look at the video on this page... http://www.uscutter.com/index/page/product/product_id/1607/category_id/148/product_name/12%22+Silhouette+CAMEO+Craft+Cutter++%28PREORDER%2C+ships+early+November%29