threedee

De-wire-fication of stuff

Hi folks.

Well, i've started to de-wire-fy my home. Net is wireless, server access is wireless, headphones are wireless (love em Philips HD1500u's :lol: ), some other home appliances that dont draw much juice are wireless (power wise). Bought 3 laptops this weekend, all wireless of course (for those with "WHY 3 :lol:" answer is it was triggered by me buying a plotter driver lappy, so my mom and my sister decided to want one too all of a sudden :lol: )...

Now, next thing i'm thinking - how to make plotter work wirelessly ? I know, i know, plooter is not a mobile device. But my house being what it is cant stand wires in any way. Small and all my stuff is spread across 2 floors. Plotter and plotter driver lappy will be upstairs, main design machine, that may be used for direct cutting (if wireless allowing) is downstairs. Also i may move printer upstairs to declutter downstairs, etc, etc...

You get the idea.

Now have any of you tried to run MH720 or CP-2500 wirelessly ? If so - how and what sort of equipment i need ? Some sort of wireless printing server ?

Cheers....

There are wirelss printers so the technology exists...when it will become available for cutters is another question. Maybe Jerry can offer some advice.

ive got an apple wireless router with print server in it... does the plotter get recognized like a printer?? if so, then all i will need to do is have the plotter drivers on the computer and ill be fine... i hope that will work, otherwise ill have to tether myself while cutting...

no,the cutter doesn't show up as a printer.  I don't think it will work. Remember,the cutter would have to have wireless capabilities as well .

not particularly... i believe on the airport extreme, you can now use the usb port as an extension of a usb port on your computer too...

true enough but that still leaves the cutter wired to the hub.

Considering the difficulties many people have had just getting the computer to communicate with the cutter while WIRED, I can only imagine the nightmare of wireless.

i think ill stick with wired to the computer until i get a better understanding of how it communicates, and how the hub works...

Well it cant be THAT much slower... Plotter needs...what?...9600 baud ? And to compare to 54megabits its miles. Even if its one or even half a megabit... its way more than needed.

Plus i have an excellent reception all over my house. Linksys does its job well. What i'm trying to establish is if people tried this wireless plotting thingamajiga in practice...

fourthsyde has suggested the equipment you will need to make it work (in theory) so when you get the plotter,try it out and post a report for us all to see.

ill try it once i get a hang of using the plotter.... no need to make things even more confusing for myself...