Sign in to follow this  
firemalt

It's funny how...

Life can change in an instant...

With a simple phone call from my father Friday evening. He called to let me know he decided to head back into town because his chest was hurting him so bad. After a few minutes of talking with him, he explained that he was trying to make it back home prior to calling the Houston fire dept. for emergency service. I told him that the signs and symptoms he described to me, that there was a very good chance that he was actively having a heart attack! I finally convicted him to pull over, off the freeway since he was stuck in our wonder Houston traffic, find a gas station, grocery store or anything easy for the ambulance to get to, and call 911.

As I'm driving to the hospital... the only thing I can think about is "Did I just talk to my dad for the last time?" 15 minutes later, I got to the hospital where I met my mother, girlfriend, and brother. He was still in the triage at the ER when we found where he was. Just as we got into the room, the triage nurse said he was indeed having a heart attack, and in a instant, they were wheeling him off to the cath. lab to see which vessels around the heart were blocked.

Almost two hours later, he was placed in CCU or CICU for recovery. They ended up putting two stints in his LCA(I believe the biggest artiery on the heart), 1 - 24mm stint, and 1 - 28mm stint. The before and after pictures are unbelievable!!! They did a echocardiogram yesterday, and finally came back with the results this morning. His heart's blood volume output is within the normal range, but the cardiologist said there was some minor tissue damage, but probably not enough to effect his health in the future.

Just a few hours ago he got moved from the CICU to a normal private room, and is scheduled to be released tomorrow afternoon/evening.

So... this weekend I was shown how quickly things can chance in one's life, and it was a serious eye-opener, and makes you realize the things you should be greatful for in your life!

Thanks for letting me vent, and thanks for taking the time to read this...

-Tim

Guest fivestar

Tim thank GOD your father did listen to you and pulled over and got help.  I'm glad to hear that he is doing good.  Yes life is very short and we do indeed take it for granted.

Guest sciondrgn

Man, My friends dad passed friday night due to heart failure and my grandfather had to have a stint put in this weekend as well.

My friend said he talked to his dad friday night before heading to bed and that was the last time he got to talk to him.

So glad to hear he is doing good.

Tim,  glad to hear that your dad is going to be ok. we are truely blest to live in this age of technological medical advances. and something as scarey as this can still make a believer out of you.  take care your family is in my prayers tonight.  daniel t

Tim, sure glad your dad called you Friday night to let you know how he was feeling.  You actually aided in saving his life by having him pull over to call 911.  Life does change way to fast, in a 24 month period I had lost my brother, my father & a sister.....so enjoy each and every day the best you can.

I'll glad your dad is getting a little stronger and healthier each day.

Jenny

firemalt

Im so glad everything turned out well! Even though we dont personally know each other, I read your story and felt like if this was happening to a close friend of mine. Keep an eye on your dad. I hope his health keeps improving.

My grandfather had the same thing happen a few weeks ago, i think a large portion was due to his first christmas without grandma being there.

Good job on getting him to pull off the road Tim!

Guest Terry

Tim thank GOD your father did listen to you and pulled over and got help.  I'm glad to hear that he is doing good.  Yes life is very short and we do indeed take it for granted.

Glad he got a hold of you, now go for a ride on your bike by yourself and check out the scenerey, it will look different.