iamjoey

Dead Machine

I have an MH 721 that we have been using the past two years to cut vinyl for taxicabs. Today, in the middle of a run, it stopped. I turned it off and then back on and it ran one job and quit. I now received a message that there is an unknown object on my USB port. I've tried turning off the computer and cutter in the hopes that they would reset, but so far nothing...same response. Is my cutter dead? Absolutely no problems with it until now.

Thanks for any help that I can get.

Could be a number of things but to narrow it down I'd check the baud rate on the plotter and make sure it's set at 9600, make sure you're on the correct port still, if you are then go into control panel, system, hardware, then device manager. Once there click on the universal serial bus controller that shows an error and select disconnect. Unplug your plotter then plug it back in so it can be found again. If that doesn't work then call ASH.

Thanks for the input. I tried everything and still getting the message that the USB device is inknown. Not sure if this is a computer or cutter issue. Also, I'm running a USB line and now wonder if I need a keyspan and if that would make a difference. Also, if it's a cutter issue, would that mean a "simple" memory board change?

this is from another post. You don't state what OS you are using, so maybe this will help ,maybe not. this is for Windows 7 problem..

here is the link for the whole post

Now for the solution:

If you are experiencing the dreaded uscutter under unknown device in device manager have no fear. This is all assuming that you have already tried the normal steps and installed the FTDI driver of course. First download this driver HERE and extract to a folder in a spot you will be able to find later. Then go to control panel, devices and printers and choose to add new printer. Add local and use the existing port usb0001. When it is looking for the driver choose have disk and navigate to the directory you saved. It will tell you that this driver is not digitally signed but this is ok.

Now launch SB and create a square. Click cutter and then setup. Choose your cutter model and under ports choose usb0001. OK out of that and then choose cut and cut tile. This has worked on both Windows 7 64 bit business as well as Windows 7 32 bit ultimate and I was able to duplicate no problem.

Simple solution? Yes! Does it work? It did for me!

keywords: windows seven com port usb device not found driver 64bit mh-721 mh721