Sign in to follow this  
harley121

Does anyone here use vinyl as a mask for media blasting?

Hartco makes a sand blast media for heavy etching. If it is a quick etch with not to much depth required use a paint mask for vinyl cutters which works way better for fine detail Sandblast mask is thick and very hard to use for small detail

I have just purchased the PT Cutter to use just for that purpose. I have personally seen projects done using vinyl and is definetly cheaper than the razist film. I still have to use my no wash out film for photographs but I should eliminate using the washout film from here on out.

A closely guarded secret is that you can use low cost fluo vinyl.

This makes excellent sand blast resist.

It is about half the price of products marketed as sand blast resist.

A client who does glass images uses this as it is thinner and no shadow is cast by the blasting.

Or less of a shadow.

Another reason is that is can be molded more easily around curved surfaces such a rocks or drinking glasses.

Of course another essential is to only use steep angle blades with an offset if 0.75.

Trust this helps

Jerry from SignBlazer. 

Long ago - I use to use vinyl that is used as shelf liner. What I did was go to walmart and buy a roll and I would sketch , by hand the design that I wanted to etch on mirrors. It worked great. This was before I realized that there were such things as vinyl cutters and that you could print on vinyl.

You might want to give that a try as a cheap alternative.

If you go to the McMaster Carr website their catalog has a very good description of the different types (grades) of sandblasting media, even walnut shells.

It depends entirely on what type of sandblasting you are going to be doing on which vinyls/resist will work best for you.  For a basic surface etch, the paint mask or something similar will work very well.  For something deep carved, you will need a much thicker resist, but it can  still be cut on your vinyl cutter as long as you use the proper blade.  I'm totally new to cutters, but have been sandblasting for several years.  Just got a new PCut 36" cutter, and was dying to see how it would do on one of my glass stencils.  Actually cut a stencil on a piece of sample vinyl that I had here, and it did great.  I too, would be very interested in conversing with others that are using their vinyl cutters for creating sandblast stencils.