Sign in to follow this  
Justin9

MH 721 w/ Win 7 64bit (Was working, now not)

I bought a HP Touchscreen. Only has usb ports. I hooked up my 721 and installed SignBlazer. It worked without any fuss, on win 7 64 bit. I was able to cut two things on different days. Come back last night and now the cutter doesn't want to talk to the machine. I have tried the roland drivers for 500 and 1000, the FDTI or whatever stuff, I have reconfigured the com port and changed numbers... even tried different usb cables... the best I can do is have the software act like it is sending the job to the cutter, but the cutter never starts. I do not have a serial port or lpt port to try with this computer, it is an all-in-one touchscreen.. i just can't believe it worked before and nothing now, could the machine be stupid?

I actually have a job I need to get done, I have the xp machine that was previously hooked to this cutter that I'm going to try again tonight and see if it is the new machine or the cutter, has there not been any updates from us cutter to make this machine work in win7?

I bought a HP Touchscreen. Only has usb ports. I hooked up my 721 and installed SignBlazer. It worked without any fuss, on win 7 64 bit. I was able to cut two things on different days. Come back last night and now the cutter doesn't want to talk to the machine. I have tried the roland drivers for 500 and 1000, the FDTI or whatever stuff, I have reconfigured the com port and changed numbers... even tried different usb cables... the best I can do is have the software act like it is sending the job to the cutter, but the cutter never starts. I do not have a serial port or lpt port to try with this computer, it is an all-in-one touchscreen.. i just can't believe it worked before and nothing now, could the machine be stupid?

I actually have a job I need to get done, I have the xp machine that was previously hooked to this cutter that I'm going to try again tonight and see if it is the new machine or the cutter, has there not been any updates from us cutter to make this machine work in win7?

this will not answer your question. but best to put it on the XP machine and leave it there. Much more stable. It needs to be on a dedicated computer anyway. So your not unplugging and plugging in all the time, That causes it to jump com port numbers. Every time you plug in the USB, you are assigning it a new number, because it thinks the other one is in use. And yes, you can purchase a USB to serial. for your computer with no serial. A Keyspan Adapter works the best. Can be purchased at USCutter and numerous other places, Ebay etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-Serial-Adapter-USA-19HS-/120420154018?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0999baa2

Goodluck

Well, that's the thing, I am not unplugging it... it was plugged in the back of the machine in it own spot... nothing changed, it just quit. I tried reassigning it to a new port just to see if something was giving it a conflict and nothing seemed to do it... the reason i got this machine was so I could use a stylus and actually draw on the screen what I wanted to cut... so going back to the XP machine is a short term solution, it may work, but is not practical because A, I will have to setup the machine where I weed my jobs and B, is on it's last leg anyway (I had to put a 16 meg pci video card in it about a month ago it keep it running....)

Well, that's the thing, I am not unplugging it... it was plugged in the back of the machine in it own spot... nothing changed, it just quit. I tried reassigning it to a new port just to see if something was giving it a conflict and nothing seemed to do it... the reason i got this machine was so I could use a stylus and actually draw on the screen what I wanted to cut... so going back to the XP machine is a short term solution, it may work, but is not practical because A, I will have to setup the machine where I weed my jobs and B, is on it's last leg anyway (I had to put a 16 meg pci video card in it about a month ago it keep it running....)

If you had a newer updated software, you might be able to pull that off. But Signblazer has not been updated for several years, as the owner passed away several years ago. The imported files have to even be a version 8.eps. I don't even upgrade computers, I purchase used XP , because they are more stable. THat is all I run on. And you can still get great deals on used XP on Ebay, even with a serial port.

Put in a support ticket to UScutter. maybe they can remote you.

Well, I bought a serial to usb cable today at lunch, gonna try it tonight and see what happens. I use to be one of those never updates software (windows) kind of guys, but this time I did early and I really enjoy the operating system, and the fact I can run all this new software, and use the stylus to draw... If I had the room to have another computer sitting here i would, but I don't, and honestly, I don't want to screw with having one computer for this, and another just to cut vinyl. I could have very easily bought a new video card for my aging system, but I decided just to get a new computer that would last me another 8 years... and now, my budget for computer stuff is zeroed out... so I gotta make this work... I'm not a full time vinyl shop, I do this to help pay for my racing hobby, so to buy a new video card for my old machine and a new monitor, because as my luck would have it, it crapped out too, for a 8 year old machine didn't make sense... I wanted something so I could enjoy the new windows features and games and what not, blu-ray (I also use this as my tv in the room.. it's a 26")

Ok, I just tried a serial to usb converter.... I installed and the signblazer picked it up... nothing... the software will begin to outline the cut, but the cutter never moves..

I also noticed that now my cutter does not retain the settings for speed and force when it is shut off, is this a memory problem and could it be my foot problem?

It appears I had a bad motherboard, so i have ordered a new one and 3 new blades as well, I hope this cures my problem, hate I spent 40 bucks on the serial cable but, I guess I have it if I need it.

It appears I had a bad motherboard, so i have ordered a new one and 3 new blades as well, I hope this cures my problem, hate I spent 40 bucks on the serial cable but, I guess I have it if I need it.

Is your cutter grounded to the stand if you have one?