dc_autosports

Aggrivation first thing on monday morning

Trying to run off 2 t shirts this morning, that are to be done by 10a (9:55a now) and so far my cutter is not liking this idea. I love static.....NOT. Is there any cutter capable of running easyweed without having a static jolt lock up the whole machine?:huh: And FYI i'm not running this stuff off a roll, I cut it down to 14" pcs that I use the static spray on. Cutter is MH871; added grounding leads from cutter to stand, and have the cutter wheels on carboard... I just feel like screaming. It's like the thing wants it's morning cup of coffee. I fear that if it keeps going this way I might throw the coffee pot at it! anyways, done ranting.

Thank you

Trying to run off 2 t shirts this morning, that are to be done by 10a (9:55a now) and so far my cutter is not liking this idea. I love static.....NOT. Is there any cutter capable of running easyweed without having a static jolt lock up the whole machine?:huh: And FYI i'm not running this stuff off a roll, I cut it down to 14" pcs that I use the static spray on. Cutter is MH871; added grounding leads from cutter to stand, and have the cutter wheels on carboard... I just feel like screaming. It's like the thing wants it's morning cup of coffee. I fear that if it keeps going this way I might throw the coffee pot at it! anyways, done ranting.

Thank you

I put my cutter on tiles I bought from Lowes, I bought a tile for each wheel.

Also some say put a dryer sheet in the roll of material you are cutting.

I put my cutter on tiles I bought from Lowes, I bought a tile for each wheel.

Also some say put a dryer sheet in the roll of material you are cutting.

I'll be stopping at the hardware store before work today. I'm assuming just cheap ceramic tiles is all that is required? and as for the dryer sheet, I tried that..... and that's how I ended up replacing the Z axis chip in my cutter, the first time. So ever since then I've had better ( not great) luck by cutting off sheets from the roll and cutting sheets instead of feeding off the roll. It wastes a bit more vinyl IMO, but it's better than replacing a MB or chip everytime I want to cut this stuff.

I'm just wondering if there is a cutter out there that is able to handle the static associated with the easyweed products. The Refine/US Cutter doesn't like it at all.

I use the LP24, same as the Pcut. What I did was run a wire to a piece of metal that sits on the floor. I think the metal could be anything steel related. I've never had an issue at all with easyweed after this modification. The metal I used was a piece of angle iron around 12 inches long lol BTW, I used a $20.00 meter I bought from radio shack to check my ground on everything I do computer related. I think this will work very well for you guy's having this problem. BTW, invest in a grounding pad as well

Hope this helps

I took measures to deal with static to avoid aggravation as well, especially when my LCD got reset by static *shudder*.

Following advice on this forum, I unscrewed the bottom screws of my LP24 just a bit, put some copper wire around them, screwed them back in for a snug fit, and then wound the other end of the wire to the screw in my outlet. Seems to have helped a ton. I have no static issues now, and my cutter is on carpet.

Also, be sure to ground yourself before touching your cutter or vinyl. Just touch something metal before handling your cutter and vinyl and what not. I leave my vinyl on the roll, but it's touching the metal on the cutter which is grounded. I suppose a dryer sheet might help but I don't understand how it works personally...but I've heard of people doing this and it's probably a good suggestion if you want fresh-smelling vinyl too hehe.

I also switched from the USB connection to a Keyspan and have been happy with my cutter since I did all these things.

Good luck!

Wondering if some peoples grounds aren't actually grounded. We haven't had a problem yet, and hope we never do. We just had our electrical panel upgraded too.

screenprintr is correct. Some building's grounds are not actually a "full" ground, for sake of a better term. The power company can check it for you. I had to add five more ground rods to my shop.

That's the reason I was telling him to purchase a tester for $20.00, he can check all of his ground leads with it to see if they are working correctly or not. That will save ALOT of headache regarding static electricity. In my business that's all I deal with is static on a daily basis. This will stop all your costs on repair, it's easy to do, we just do not seem to take the time to check these problems. Screenprintr is correct in saying to use the household ground. The only problem as he said, most homes or businesses are not correctly grounded which should be their number 1 concern. Because of issues with lightning, static, etc. Electronics need to be grounded correctly, I guess electricians just get in a huge rush and just test the mains and not the ground connects. I've ran all my grounds myself, but still use a piece of metal, (just in case) I've seen people fry their computer components just by touching them which is costly, especially if it's a motherboard or processing unit.

My rule of thumb is, "First thing, is to get everything computer related grounded first", then turn it on. I live in a high humidity environment so static doesn't effect me as much, but there's still a possibility that yes it can happen, and yes it WILL happen sooner or later.

So, get you a good ground checker that you can monitor yourself so this never happens to you. The most complains I see from new people are that their machines are all whacked out because of static or usb issues. Correct these issues right from the start and you will likely not have any issues at all with these cutters.

Hope this helps!

Wondering if some peoples grounds aren't actually grounded. We haven't had a problem yet, and hope we never do. We just had our electrical panel upgraded too.

That's probably the case, in older building many people never completely hooked up the ground faults. I've done many electrical repairs and see it constantly. It's simple to find out. Just buy a circuit tester, plug in type and it will let you know automatically.