Sign in to follow this  
UpNorthPromo

Banner Heat Welder

I'm looking to purchase a heat welder for hemming banners. Does anyone have one? If so are you happy with it / any good deals out there?

Thanks

do you do enough banners to justify the expense? Do you have a good CHEAP source of raw banner stock?

I get mine heat welded and grommeted for 50 cents a square foot. I would imagine that you would have to buy a lot of raw stock to get your cost down below that.

If I could do it,I would already have done it,and I sell 10-15 banners per week.

I have seen heat welders as low as around $250 on ebay. I do a lot of banners depending on the time of the year. The thing is I get all sorts of request for odd sizes not really your standard 4x8 or whatever. Fellers does cut all of there banners. I stoped in one time to pick up a banner and I had to wait till they cut and hemmed it, they have no stock sizes which worked out pretty good. But just checking my options for somthing I can produce my self.  I can't really find rolls of 13oz or greater banner materail under .95 per yard. I have seen banner blanks on ebay go for around .50 a  foot. One guy sells 10oz banners sewn and grometed for about that price and another one sells 13oz heat welded and grometed for that or just a hair more. But finding odd sizes and colors is tough on ebay.

If you look on ebay or other places you can often get a commercial sewing machine for around $400, If you just need the occasional odd size,I suggest sewing. Almost anyone can sew a simple straight line.

You don't need anything fancy just a straight stitch machine... lock stitch,NOT chain stitch.

I have an old Singer 111w15 that I got on ebay for $250 stand included.

I may have to look into a sewing machine. I prefer sewen to welded.  I can't say I've ever sew anything but it can't be too hard. Thanks

Let me tell you about sewing machines...the one I learned on was already about 70 years old,and still going strong. IT still was 20 years later when I gave it away. The One I use now (the NEW one) is only 45 years old.

In other words,they last forever. And there are several places that you can still get parts for the old ones.

About $10 worth of thread would last you through 20 or more banners. Needles are about $.50 each...Anyone with basic mechanical skills can fix almost anything that can go wrong with the older,simple machines.

Sewn banners do not come lose. If you have the raw banner stock you can do any size,no restrictions,in very little time.I can hem a 2x10 banner by myself in about 20 minutes and I am slow. If I had someone to help me,cut that time in half.

And the neat thing is...once you get used to the sewing...you will be surprized what else you can do...hem your own pants, sew up that hole in the crotch....Even make your own clothes from scratch if things get slow.

Added bonus...you can make a cover for your cutter out of good heavy fabric!

If you get REALLY busy with banners,you can hire someone to do the sewing for cheap. I once had a girl who sewed all day long for me for $8 an hour.

Heat welders have parts that tear up, and you would be lucky to get 5 years out of one of the cheaper ones.

If you want specific advice on sweing machines, what kind to get,etc....pm me. 35 years sitting at one taught me a few things.