apexroofing

Best Cutter for Low Usage

We are looking at purchasing a vinyl cutter for use in our business. We are a roofing company and end up purchasing lots of yard signs, banners, magnetic signs, etc. and are wondering if it might end up cheaper in the long run to purchase a machine and start making our own signs. We wouldn't need something that is designed for constant usage as we would be using it just for our needs and maybe some friends who also have their own businesses. We would just want to be able to do lettering and simple 2 color logos.

What kind of vinyl cutter would be good for us? In addition to the cutter, what other equipment would we need? Can a vinyl cutter be used for t-shirts, hats, jackets?

We have a computer and I have experience with graphic design software, and do have a copy of an older version of CorelDRAW.

I really appreciate any advice you can give us.

Thanks!

Jennifer

A basic cutter will do just fine for what you specified (vinyl signs, decals and t-shirts).

About which one, I'm not familiar with the USC cutters, but have seen the GCC expert 24 name thrown around quite a bit. GCC is a great company. I have one of their cutters (Cut3000/Bengal). One thing to definitely do up front is get a stand for your cutter.

Other things you'd need:

Vinyl (sign and heat transfer)

Application tape

Weeding tool

Squeegees

X-acto or razor blade

Wow I had to double take to insure I was actually on the US Cutter forum as for a fleeting moment I thought I might be at some GC Cutter site or something.

If your intentions are to cut only for your needs and you don't have a desire to invest a good amount of time or $ in learning and retaining that familarity in new software. I'd suggest you look at something like http://www.uscutter.com/Graphtec-Quickutz-Silhouette-SD-Craft-Cutter-formerly-CraftROBO_p_1287.html. While it carries a size limitation, there are simple work arounds to overcome this if need arises. Now for the real reason to consider this machine. It come with great software that allows you to either design and cut from or to EASILY bridge (launch) from Corel. This is so much more than just a machine for hobbiests. One can spend $180 or $300+ for a machine that gathers dust 11 months of the years; what makes more sense?

Wow I had to double take to insure I was actually on the US Cutter forum as for a fleeting moment I thought I might be at some GC Cutter site or something.

Hey Edge , I had the same reaction . I am always looking for a new perspective about everything . I would like to know how others would take advertising/promoting competitors merchandise on a site they own , support & pay for . I admit I don't understand " BIG " business enough , but I would nuke any post , thread or member ( after a warning ) who did that if I had a forum . I wonder if other forum owners would be as congenial as USCutter :angry: ( I Don't think so !!! )

I have a website I advertise used mobile homes on . I list mobile homes that belong to a few business associates that sub-contract from me . It seems insane to think I would let a direct competitors stuff be listed or promoted as better than mine on my site . Anybody feel different from that ?  :)

Hey Edge , I had the same reaction . I am always looking for a new perspective about everything . I would like to know how others would take advertising/promoting competitors merchandise on a site they own , support & pay for . I admit I don't understand " BIG " business enough , but I would nuke any post , thread or member ( after a warning ) who did that if I had a forum . I wonder if other forum owners would be as congenial as USCutter :angry: ( I Don't think so !!! )

I have a website I advertise used mobile homes on . I list mobile homes that belong to a few business associates that sub-contract from me . It seems insane to think I would let a direct competitors stuff be listed or promoted as better than mine on my site . Anybody feel different from that ?  :)

A local mom & pop hardware store (Battels) in my area sometimes refers me to Lowe's or Home Depot when they can't fit my need but that alone makes me want to give them first crack at any project I have. I think it shows real class to not show fear of the competition and at least in my mind makes me feel like they have my best interest in mind.

I also have a local mechanic I've referred any and all who ask if I know an honest mechanic to for the same reason. I thought I needed a new cat and he sent me to a guy that stocked aftermarket exhaust hangers rather than make me leave the truck so he could order the part and do it himself and make a buck, or worse, charge me for a new catilitic converter.

Now the jacka$$ S.O.B. shopper that is only concerned with getting a deal even a your expense is understandably a whole other story, but then again that guy is the first to bad mouth you even after you solved his problem and hold a bad referral against you... forever.

I understand & agree with that perspective . I do the same thing & the big companies send me work back also . The point I am thinking about would be compared to the Mom & Pop store letting somebody put up an advertisement for Lowes in the store  ( " this item or similar item on sale at Lowe's for less " is what some posts do here ) . That is what crosses the line IMO . It seems very unloyal to promote USCutter competitors on USCutter's dime ( the forum they pay for ) . The " other " guys have been the opposite from how USCutter has been  .  There has been no " networking ' , it has been VERY negative & demeaning coming the other way . I have never demeaned another company to try to gain business .. that is poor integrity IMO .

Thanks for the US Cutter Graphtec / Quickutz Silhouette SD Craft Cutter suggestion. I think we may want a little bigger machine. I noticed this one that US Cutter has for sale on eBay. Do you think this would be good for what we are trying to do?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-28-Vinyl-Cutter-Cutting-Plotter-USCutter-w-USB-/300522417723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8882e3b

Thanks again for your help.

Jennifer

Jennifer ,

I started out with the same reason you have , plus doing decal making semi-full time when I retire . I read & asked . It seemed for the money difference , the Copam was a wise decision . I bought 2 ( 1 for my farm where I am going to retire at ) I think the money difference is money well spent after reading this forum for 3 1/2 years . Kem Imes , the main guy on the forum from USCutter & the guy who answered all the phone calls 3 1/2 years ago advised the Copam & all the USCutter personel have agreed ever since . The P-Cut would be the 2nd choice .

I know I have saved enough money making my own stuff  ( especially being able to do it " my way " ) to pay for both cutters , let alone what I have made for others .

Thanks for the US Cutter Graphtec / Quickutz Silhouette SD Craft Cutter suggestion. I think we may want a little bigger machine. I noticed this one that US Cutter has for sale on eBay. Do you think this would be good for what we are trying to do?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-28-Vinyl-Cutter-Cutting-Plotter-USCutter-w-USB-/300522417723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8882e3b

Thanks again for your help.

Jennifer

One thing to keep in mind, the US cutters on ebay have less of a warranty, hence the lower price. I'd buy from USC directly so you'll have the full warranty.

i have had great luck with my mh871 .i have an old roland and i like the mh better i hardly ever use the roland its an old 950

For the money & size you can't beat a LaserPoint 24" with contour cut feature for which you'll need when making decals. I'll admit I've had some learning curve issues but all solved with persistence & the finished product is top notch, this machine is the best bang for the buck! at 399.00.

Hope this helps

UScutter all the way!