Sign in to follow this  
Randys Graphics

looking for any helpful info

hello i'm from alabama i am looking into buying a uscutter either the USCutter MH-series Vinyl Cutter or the USCutter EcoCut Vinyl Cutter. I would like input on the cutters and what kinda software if good for someone just starting out im looking to start me a little side business making signs, decales, banners, and maybe one day getting in to making shirts.. few questions i have

i would like to know what kinda computer everyone is running hard drive size memory etc. I have a hp laptop it has 1gig memory and i want to put 500g hard drive so have nuff room for like fonts and images and stuff.

THANKS ANY HELP WOULD BE HELPFUL!

I got a 871 w/no problems running on xp (I hate vista/7 - but everyone says they work just fine)

Search the 4ums (this is a common question) I'm sure your answers been answered at least a dozen time!

I can't answer your questions about the cutter (I have a Graphtec) but as far as PC specs and software, I run two systems with Win 7, 250GB HDD, 2GB RAM and both Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW X4 run without issues. If you don't want to spend the dough on AI or CD you can always download Inkscape which is free and does almost everything the big boys do. Actually, I find the trace in Inkscape seems to work a little better than AI & CD. I don't know if you are able to plot directly from Inkscape, but I'm sure the cutter comes with software that will allow you to cut vector files...

I load 'em right up... Sure, it make the program you're working in hitch the first time you put some text to the page, but once you're designing it smooths right out... I currently have over 2000 fonts installed with almost no ill effects...

XLII-Guy did u make your logo and what program did u use and u said u had CorelDraw X4 how much does that program cost and do u have all your vector on your hard drive or cds

Yes, I created my own logo. I used Photoshop CS4.

The CorelDRAW X4 Suite (CorelDraw, CorelPAINT) was around $200 when I picked it up. I find it a little easier to use than Adobe Illustrator.

I keep all my vectors, design files, stock images, etc... in folders on my hard drive. Actually, I sync my two PC's with an 8GB USB drive on an almost daily basis. I also back up all my files to a 1TB external HDD once a month... I've got literally hundereds of hours & dollars invested in designs, purchases & downloads.

Yes, I created my own logo. I used Photoshop CS4.

The CorelDRAW X4 Suite (CorelDraw, CorelPAINT) was around $200 when I picked it up. I find it a little easier to use than Adobe Illustrator.

I keep all my vectors, design files, stock images, etc... in folders on my hard drive. Actually, I sync my two PC's with an 8GB USB drive on an almost daily basis. I also back up all my files to a 1TB external HDD once a month... I've got literally hundereds of hours & dollars invested in designs, purchases & downloads.

If they're networked, no need for a flash drive and you can schedule it to run automatically :D

If they're networked, no need for a flash drive and you can schedule it to run automatically :D

They're not networked together. I keep the removable HDD off-site, (just in case...) one PC is my home office design box and the other is a laptop that travels around with me.

If i wasn't networked it'd be way to much maintenance and burnt out grey matter for me!