Profit is not a dirty word, it is what you are in business for. Charge enough to cover all your expenses even if you work out of your basement. Pay yourself a good salary and have a profit to make it worth your time.

Fair profit is not a dirty word but there is screwing over your clients... That will cause you to lose business..

Point in case: Sears $99 glasses, by the end they were done, 3 pair cost over $1000, they will never see any of my business again and anyone i know that's looking for glasses wont be going there either...

You trying to sell me a t-shirt for $25, me, if i can't find it and want it bad enough I may buy it from you, but bet I'll look elsewhere before throwing down $25.

I'd also ask you the price for one shirt just to get your cost, even if i was looking for 10 or more, multiple 25x10=250, maybe 10% discount, $225, think the last time i paid 225 for my shirts I ended up with about 45, 15 in 3 different versions and they tossed in 3 jackets no charge. That is a big difference than what i quick calculated in my head and with that, would have walked without even trying to talk you down in price....

just my 2cents....

I am not trying to sell you anything. My prices are what the market will bear in my area. Heck the Walmart near me charges more for things here then they do at their stores an hour away.

+1 Bayotle

Been reading the other posts and totally agree with not gouging the customer..If your market will handle the price then great but most that charge outrageous prices even in a great market could tank and won't be here long enough to continue business..If you charge a fair price in a good market or a great market you will last longer than the former!

Looks like you found the middle now on your avatar...LOL

stetson5331

I, for one, am a HUGE fan of dirty words. That being said, I don't think "profit" falls in that catagory.

Here's my take:

My business is built on word of mouth. Sure, I do some advertizing here and there, but the great majority of my clients come see me because somebody TOLD them that they could get:

1.) A Good Deal

2.) Great Customer Service Before, During & After the Sale

3.) A Quality Product for a Reasonable Price

If I whacked every client that walked through my door for every penny I could squeeze out of them, they wouldn't be telling their friends and relatives that I am their "Go-To-Guy" for vinyl and print. Quite the opposite. People LOVE to tell their friends and family about bad business experiences a lot more than good ones.

I may not be making millions today but I am fairly certain that I will still be meeting new clients long after the greedy ones have gone under...

That's just my 1.5 cents... (Yes, I just undercut you bayotle...)

I dont have a problem giving people a "good deal" so long as its within the price structure that fits your market area. I like most people on here do this as a hobby or as extra income so my overhead is basically zero, however I charge what a local sign shop would charge for the same services.  I farm out alot of stuff to local sign shops & I would rather be an asset to them and maintain a good working relationship with them than be THAT GUY that undercuts everyone and artificially lowers the market value of what we do. My mortgage and food for my family doesn't rely on this stuff but it does for the shops doing it full time.

Ben

I, for one, am a HUGE fan of dirty words. That being said, I don't think "profit" falls in that catagory.

Here's my take:

My business is built on word of mouth. Sure, I do some advertizing here and there, but the great majority of my clients come see me because somebody TOLD them that they could get:

1.) A Good Deal

2.) Great Customer Service Before, During & After the Sale

3.) A Quality Product for a Reasonable Price

If I whacked every client that walked through my door for every penny I could squeeze out of them, they wouldn't be telling their friends and relatives that I am their "Go-To-Guy" for vinyl and print. Quite the opposite. People LOVE to tell their friends and family about bad business experiences a lot more than good ones.

I may not be making millions today but I am fairly certain that I will still be meeting new clients long after the greedy ones have gone under...

That's just my 1.5 cents... (Yes, I just undercut you bayotle...)

+1 but only way to undercut me is to do a lot of freebies! :D

My sister helps with the books from time to time and lets me sleep in late saturday, she bout had a shyt fit watching me do all the freebies I do, but from that, I've gotten entire families coming in and from as far as 40+ miles away, bypassing everyone else. I love it and word of mouth, everyday someones coming in from a referral - and after spending 1000's on advertising, i've quit advertising all together. Only time advertising ever paid off was when a customer saw my ad and cut it out - according to him he knew he'd need me sooner or later - turned out to be 2 years later - And that is the only one that ever came in from an ad of mine! Word of mouth rules!

Oh and stetson5331, I just parted my hair different, thanks for noticing! ;D