Easy way to make thicker?

I'm looking for an easy way after you trace to make something a tick thicker. IE on this the bird comes out fine but I'd like the Ruger part to be a little thicker making it easier to cut. Been trying to trace it but its really a PITA. Is there a way I can select a few nodes and move them out the same?

TIA

post-14259-12986566305076_thumb.gif

post-14259-12986566317923_thumb.gif

That helped a lot using the offset. Is there anyway that I can separate these two images? or just offset part of it?

Do you mean seperate the "RUGER" from the "bird"?  If so, then select the image, go to Path > Break Apart then select the text (and all the pieces inside it, IE: the openings in the "R's") Then select the bird (once again, everything inside it) and go back to Path > Combine again.  Now you will have 2 seperate paths.

I'm having trouble breaking stuff apart. I've tried doing what you said, selected the picture, hit the break apart...nothing happens.

I noticed when I was trying to ungroup some text on another image that I could not get that to work either. What am I doing wrong? Is there another setting I'm not doing right?

Also I just notice I made another graphic, it was all apart when I got to sign blazer. How do I get it to stay together? The group button really did nothing for me or union...

I think I'm going to give up on this ruger logo for awhile, seems to be a lot of work but I would like to know more about the grouping thing, I really need to get that working

Make sure your designs are a path (path>object to path) any time you are trying to combine, union, break-apart, etc. Text must be converted to a path as well. Anytime you are having difficulties when tryin to perform certain functions, be sure to pay attention to the info bar right above the color choices at the bottom of the page. Sometimes that bar can give you some very useful info about what could be wrong.

Also, two things to remember when you auto trace something in inkscape, make sure you have your traced copy selected and NOT the original bitmap image (your trace gets place right over the bitmap) and second, in some cases ,depending on how you trace something, you may have to "ungroup" (object>ungroup). Again the, info bar at the bottom of the page will always tell you what the current status of your design is: "path, text, group, etc" so be sure to keep an eye on it so you know what you are workin with.

As far as ur signblazer question, Im not sure. Ive never really used it. Maybe try combine instead of group, just make sure its a "path"

Ok the tip about looking at the bar down low helps me out. Thanks, I still can't get it work, says select two things to combine, really don't see how to select two, is there a key I hold down? I tried ctrl did not really work. I know its something elementary holding me back.

Hey you should try hitting the shift button dumbass and then combine....

Now that made my night hahahahaahah I was looking at what you guy's were saying and I was waiting on the shift button part, then all of a sudden 22 chimed in, it was unexpected and made me spill and spit coffee all over the stupid floor (Had to get big mop) hahahahaha Man, you just made my day BIGTIME! lol

;) :'( :D :'( ;D;)

P.S. I mopped after choking half to death on coffee I didn't get out of my mouth in time, thank goodness it was on tile floor or the misses would have choked the rest out of me lol