Sign in to follow this  
Dbannon

what type of ink?

Hi, I'm looking into getting a heat press, printer, etc. On the workforce 30, it offers several types of ink options. ChromaBlast, SubliJet, and ArTainium. What's the difference? I'd like to be able to make heat transfers, but if possible decals as well. Please advise.

I looked at the Epson 1100 and it offers High Temp, Pigment, or Dye. What is what?

You'd want pigment ink for t-shirts and decals.

Sublimation is for hard surface heat transfers like mugs and tiles.

Dye ink is good for indoor prints, but pigment is just as good and more versatile. Dye inks might be better for photos.

Thanks for the help. If I were to print my own decals, what would i print it on? I looked at the Sihl 3988 vinyl, but is it available in sheets for the printer?

It comes in rolls, but you can cut it down. It's what I do. If you get a 36" wide roll, you can make 12" x whatever length you'd like (if your printer accepts it). The WF1100 can take sheets up to 13"x44". I cut some sheets ahead of time and store them under some books in an envelope (so the printable side doesn't get dirty).

That was almost correct, but not quite.

Pigment Ink is for 100% Cotton and 50/50 t-shirts.

Dye Sublimation is for Hard Services as well as Polyester Material, like 100% Polyester T-shirts. A little more expensive.

Chromoplast can be used on 100% Cotton T-shirts.

Regular Dye Ink like what you use on paper, can be used for t-shirts, just not as durable.

That's a great thread and where I learned about the offset for the laminate.

Yeah, me too... I made the sticker in the attached photo using Sihl 3988, FDC UV Gloss Laminate, a Epson 1400 and my Graphtec 5000-60. If it weren't for that thread it may never have happened...

<edit> Sorry for the crappy photo, took the shot with my cell...

post-12236-12986566347777_thumb.jpg

post-12236-12986566379178_thumb.jpg

Nice job!

The FDC you used was plain 4200 clear or another product?

That was almost correct, but not quite.

Pigment Ink is for 100% Cotton and 50/50 t-shirts.

Dye Sublimation is for Hard Services as well as Polyester Material, like 100% Polyester T-shirts. A little more expensive.

Chromoplast can be used on 100% Cotton T-shirts.

Regular Dye Ink like what you use on paper, can be used for t-shirts, just not as durable.

My mistake; I didn't know about sublimation being used on polyester. That's good info to have though, thanks.

That's cool. It works on Hard Surfaces and Polyester. From what I've been reading, you can use Cobra Ink's High Temp ink for hard surfaces too. The ink from them only cost $22 for 100ml I believe.

Thats a great price.