Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

How to apply application tape HT55

So I have been using 12 inch wide clear r-tape for my application tape. I usually use Oracal 631 vinyl. Recently, I have been doing much larger wall designs and have purchased the 24 inch wide oracal ht55 transfer tape.

For some reason, I can not apply this tape to the vinyl successfully. Every time, I can not get it to lay flat on my weeded work. It always causes bubbles and creases within the tape, which leads to bubbles and creases within the design when it is done.

I have built a tape applicator roller to help dispense the tape, but I am still running into the problem. I also have been using a squegee as I flatten down the transfer tape.

I can do it fine on the small projects, but when I start doing larger pieces of vinyl, I run into problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can use medium-high tack R tape application tape instead of the HT55. I do and it works perfectly. I just did a 30" tall x 18' long graphic using it.

For masking i use the big squeegee. Google that and you will find it's great for tape application, laminating prints, mounting vinyl to sign substrates, applying vinyl to windows and other flat areas.

It's pretty much your technique because i can hand lay tape no problem most of the time but the big squeegee tool makes that job and others very easy.

I have tried those both. I am sure the major part of it is my technique and I just have to get use to working with this new tape. I like it because the finished product seems to hold up alright when it is rolled up.

I appreciate both your input. If others of you have found good ways to keep the bubbles, creases and zippers down, let me know. I will keep trying to play around until I get it.

Thx

make sure your using a nice squeegee. If your using a old one or one thats chipped up on the edges this will create bubbles in between the chips too. This goes with any vinyl application install too.

I've always just used the cheap  plastic squeegee from US cutter that come in 5 packs for a couple of bucks. Does the squeegee make that much of a difference? Is it worth getting a nice one? Which would you recommend? Also, other than just eyeballing it, any tips on keeping your application tape strait when applying it to the design? Just curious if either of you had a good method.

Some say to lay the tape sticky side up and lay the vinyl on top of it.

But since I got a big squeegee yard sign tool I haven't had any issues with application, big or small. You could make your own with plexiglass or pvc sheet or even plywood, but I'd rather support someone who came up with the idea.

It works great, no bubbles and even application.

Out of curiosity does your tape dispenser just mount on top of your work table? I built mine on the end so the tape would only be like a inch above the decal when I went go to apply it. I usually tape the decal down on the corners to keep static electricity from lifting it up, but it works out great other than that.

Also I imagine using a small squeegee on large tape could cause some streching problems if your tape is really high up on the dispenser end. You may want to try a larger one like some of the other guys said.

Thanks for the ideas. My dispenser is actually just a couple of 48 inch pvc pipes that spin inside some closet rod holders. I built them into my table at the edge and elevate the tape about 4-5 inches off the table surface.

Thanks for the ideas. My dispenser is actually just a couple of 48 inch pvc pipes that spin inside some closet rod holders. I built them into my table at the edge and elevate the tape about 4-5 inches off the table surface.

Seriously, Please get the big squeegee. It will help you so much you won't believe. I'd get the laminator tool which i have incase you ever get a printer and need to laminate your prints. Hey, you really never know.

FWIW, I've been using the yard sign tool for laminations as well as masking. It works perfectly, even on my first try laminating some printed decals. I'm sure the laminator tool is great for bigger prints, but don't overlook the usefulness of a smaller, simpler tool.