Sign in to follow this  
fcfinishes

How to combine outlines on Inkscape

I hope this makes sense to some one out there.

I would like to combine the "weed lines" or extra outlines on my drawing so that I have a more solid image to cut.  I can get it looking great in inkscape, but when I send it to either signcut or signblazer I get extra cut lines around the edges.

I know this is an easy fix,  I just can not figure it for the life of me.  I have watched the video numerous times and still just don get it.  Basically I want to make the lines around my inage thicker and on have a single path to cut.

Thank you for any help

Darin

FC Finishes

I will try that.

What I am having a problem with I think is I need to combine my stroke and fill to be one.  I have messed with it a bit since this post,  but can not figure out how to combine them to make one thick line instead of 4 think ones.

Basically I want to just combine the the outline so this I get one cut and not two for an outline.

Thanks

Darin

Start with the orignal design you want to outline, say text for example. Be sure that the design does not have a "stroke". Look at the bottom left corner of inkscape where it says "fill and "stroke". If there is a color beside "stroke", right click the color and choose "remove stroke". Next, duplicate your desgin. Then, you wanna "lower" it below the orignal ( click on object > lower or lower to bottom). Now make sure the  duplicate, which u just lowered, is selected through this whole process and you add your "stroke" to it. Once you are satisfied with how it looks, go to "path > STROKE to path". Now move the top part of your design (the one without the stroke) aside. Click on the one with the stroke once again and go back to "path > break apart". It may be easier to view the page as an outline at this point so u can see that you dont pull the wrong pieces out of the stroked design, to do that go to "view > display mode > outline. Now pull out the pieces you dont need, combine it all, go back to normal view and align the original with your outline, which is now a cuttable path. Hope this is what you needed to know.

Well by george I think I got it....LOL

That is what I have been trying to do for about a week.  Thank you very much.

I am looking at some design classes.  Maybe that will teach me more of what I need to know about this stuff.  I thought this would be easy boy was I wrong.

Thank you

Darin