screenprintr

Decal Tutorial

Does anyone know of a decal tutorial? Either printed copy or video would help.

I keep getting asked to do decals, and though I can do lettering, signs, and t-shirts, I'm really not sure how to do the whole decal system. If I may call it that.

I'm not sure if it's called decals or doing stickers, but if they're not one in the same I need to learn to do them both.

Thanks, 

Okay Thanks.

I found several on Youtube.

My question I guess is how to make them look like window stickers or bumper stickers people put on their cars? If I have a customer that wants 100 bumper stickers I want them to look professional.

The youtube videos look cheap. Some of the people print graphics on their inkjets, than put some type of laminate (would like to know which kind) over the top. How do you make the back sticky with a paper that the customer would peel off and apply it themselves?

Thanks Aguilar?

Paul

Okay Thanks.

I found several on Youtube.

My question I guess is how to make them look like window stickers or bumper stickers people put on their cars? If I have a customer that wants 100 bumper stickers I want them to look professional.

The youtube videos look cheap. Some of the people print graphics on their inkjets, than put some type of laminate (would like to know which kind) over the top. How do you make the back sticky with a paper that the customer would peel off and apply it themselves?

Thanks Aguilar?

Paul

I might be wrong on this, but a lot of people use Frog Juice I believe for a laminate. I am just learning also!

Thanks guys.

I guess what I'm really looking for is the actual process. Okay, I have the Artwork, now I want to print it or cut it to make a decal or label.

Do I just print it on paper from my printer or do I cut it on my cutter? Than how do you make that into a decal?

Do you weed the design, put the Application Tape on back so the customer can peel that off?

If I buy a sticker or decal from a store or show, all I do is peel the waxing paper off the back. Than I press it with my hand onto my car or where ever I'm sticking it too.

This is what I'm trying to provide so it looks professional, and not a cheap sticker that someone made at home, and used scotch tape to put it together.

Is this possible?

If I'm reading this correctly, you will need to choose if you are going to print it, or cut it, each process is different.

The example I provided was a cut decal with the colors layered.

I'll have to find one to post a picture.

I'm sure I have some in the piles of freebies I've received from the promotional shows.

I'd prefer to use the cutter to make them, but I can also screen print.

I'll have to view some videos on Google too.

Hamster, thanks for the Tutorial above. I appreciate it, and also the comments from the others.

if you have a cutter you load the vinyl into the cutter, load up your cutting program, open the file in it and select to cut. then after it cuts you weed it and put the app tape over it. there you go you have a decal.

oh and n+ rocks i love that game!!!

Thanks again Jeremy.

So to deliver it to customers, you just leave the backing from the Vinyl on the sticker so they can apply it?

Someone gave me a sticker, so later today I'll take a picture of the back and front to try to explain what I'm talking about.

screenprintr, sound like you are talking about a printed sticker which is different from a decal, as most "stickers" are printed or screen printed.  Those kind you just peel off the back and stick it where you want.  You can do something like that as well with decal just takes more time and work.  If you are looking for something like a "sticker" example bumper stickers and you want to use your vinyl cutter to make them, what you will need is to first cut your design in the color you want it.  Then you will need to apply it to some kind of backing it may be any other color vinyl as well so that your design is on top of the blank vinyl.  Once you have it applied to the blank vinyl you can remove the app tape and then you just have the backing of the vinyl which is then removed by the customer to install on what ever surface they want.  This is one way of doing this.  Another way and a much cheaper and faster way is to just get some bumper sticker (vinyl) or paper and print your design on it, after it is printed it will have to be protected in some form either with a laminate or some chemicals (frog juice), this will protect it from the UV rays. the 2nd process is much more economical and faster as well.

Just depends what you have available to work with.  Either way you can achieve what you want just what process you want to use to get there.

hope this helps.

bizzytop

Bizzy Top,

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Do you or anyone else know where to get the Bumper Sticker Vinyl, the name of it (manufacture), and the Frog Juice?

Do you have a supplier I can go too?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

I have a supplier in houston for the bumper sticker vinyl, they have large sheets, i have to find there info they have really cheap prices on ready cut banners as well, just cant find it right now, i will look for it, as for the frog juice i got mine at signwarehouse.com.  I will look for the link to the bumper sticker paper tomorrow when i get to the office.

Found the link, http://www.premiumgraphicx.com/, they have the bumper sticker paper you need, you will have to call them for an account  but the prices are very good.  You can also use vinyl that you can print on if you have that.

Thanks I'll take a look. I think my local supplier has Premium Graphix products. I'll double check.

Thanx again,

Paul