jmatson

Seprate image from another one

What do you mean by shadow?....

Similar to an outline but offset to make it look like a shadow.

To brush up my skill set, I started playing with this last night....

After pondering for a bit, I used the "Group Selection Tool" to copy the inner outlines of the numbers....

I then used the "Pathfinder-Subtract" tool to cut away the number part from the flag part.....I selected the nodes I needed to make a mask as best as I could and then I moved a few nodes and added a few nodes so the mask completely covered the number part I wanted to "subtract".......

Then I got stuck....I had the inner outline of the numbers and added an offset path so it was to paths.....But the path I added had round corners not square like the original....I think the corners are more than 1 node so I have to remove some and then add the path.....So I keep playing.....

As far as Illustrator, I have found Youtube videos to be "priceless" when it comes to learning.....But I obvious have a long way to go still....

i was playing around with it also today. and got kinda to the same point. i didn't go a offset yet.

I just can't belive you pay all this money for Clip art and it's not setup where everything can be it's own color.

You just need to learn the tools to make the changes you want. I have learned to do most everything within SignBlazer so I haven't learned Illustrator. It doesn't matter what program you use, just learn one that works for you.

All you have to do is a little drawing and node editing.  All of the vector drawing programs have the tools to do it.  This is a good one to use as practice because you have to use a few different techniques.  Draw, node edit, offset, then a little more node editing.  It took about 15 minutes.

post-8251-12986556502867_thumb.jpg

post-8251-12986556515408_thumb.jpg

Well a little more playing for me and I got it.....I gave up on using the original outline for the 2 and just re-drew it and edited and adjusted the nodes to get my curves right....This clipart seemed to have a lot more nodes that it needed so editing took extra effort....

post-8737-12986556503192_thumb.jpg

post-8737-12986556515615_thumb.jpg

I just can't belive you pay all this money for Clip art and it's not setup where everything can be it's own color.

+1

In your .ai file the number 24 is a seperate white element. Create a red outline of them and do a punch through the black checkerboard behind. Do a little node editing cleanup then you have what you want.

http://screencast.com/t/MWU5Y2NlODMt

Jay

Jay, that ScreenCast looks like an awesome site.