signranger

Contract work what to pay them

We have a situation where we know a guy who can do installations and do big jobs like light boxes and building fascia.

He would just be on a project basis for those types of projects.

What would be fair to pay him?

Say a light box is $2000.

Should we pay him a flat fee per job or a percentage of the job or something else?

Cheerio

No, he works with my husband. My husband was talking about giving him 50% of everything and I told him I would come here and ask to see what other people do.

You don't want to give him 50% just sit down and work out a pricing that every one can live with. Installations are 80 percent of my sign business I install for several sign company's in the area and after 17 or 18 years we have came down to a fairly standard rate format. I will be from 50.00 per man hour to just a flat rate for a back lit sign typical install. Also you will need to be clear who will furnish lifts or cranes if needed. Also coverage of workers comp and liability coverage on the subcontractor. And what if any material the sub will furnish I will typically furnish the metal,concrete,welding labor,and paint on many jobs the sign company will only furnish the sign (the price of metal changes daily so be sure to get an updated price .  The sign below I charged 2150.00 material and labor (except sign itself)

Dan

post-4164-12986556432873_thumb.jpg

post-4164-12986556452648_thumb.jpg

You don't want to give him 50% just sit down and work out a pricing that every one can live with. Installations are 80 percent of my sign business I install for several sign company's in the area and after 17 or 18 years we have came down to a fairly standard rate format. I will be from 50.00 per man hour to just a flat rate for a back lit sign typical install. Also you will need to be clear who will furnish lifts or cranes if needed. Also coverage of workers comp and liability coverage on the subcontractor. And what if any material the sub will furnish I will typically furnish the metal,concrete,welding labor,and paint on many jobs the sign company will only furnish the sign (the price of metal changes daily so be sure to get an updated price .  The sign below I charged 2150.00 material and labor (except sign itself)

Dan

Good looking sign there Dan :thumbsup:

Thanks for the detail on how you work things.

In your example how does your amount break down?

So if I came to you asking you to do that job, that is what you would charge me above and beyond what I would charge the customer?

Yes the metal post, primer,paint would be about 480.00 concrete about 300.00 welding about 200.00 electrical supplys about 120.00 and my help about 300.00. That is above and beyond what ever the sign cost that was purchased by the sign co.  So he sat back never lifted a finger other then design work and ordering the sign and made a decent profit I am sure.  That job would have neted me about 750.00 for my labor of about 15 hours.

That would be in the price you would charge the customer the hard cost like the sign, subcontract cost like mine, and profit. hope this helped.

Dan

Thanks again for the explanation. It really has helped. I think we will let the contractor take care of his business by deciding what he wants to charge and so on and we'll charge our design rate, materials, and cost to cut/ print/weed  profit, etc. the sign on top.

I do a lot of sub work for strictly vinyl and print shops,

to install a single face cabinet 4x8 in size, my charge comes in around 450.00 that includes hardware, wire, flex, it does not include a photocell, which I usually add 40 dollars to the bill to install.

I supply the aerial vehicles, I have gen liabilty in. for my company so its a completely sub job.

it does not include the price of the permit.

labor only I would say it would come in around 65-75 bucks an hour.  with a 5 hour min.

this pricing reflects the new economic times we are in.  3 years ago when I was so busy there was no rest for the wicked I wouldnt have billed out the job for less than 800.