Sign in to follow this  
mcpreacher

ink and printer questions for heat transfer

Hi

I've been doing signs and airbrush art for several years but I want to get into t shirts. I've played with siser easyweed cut vinyl some, but was wondering about the printed heat press process.

If I understand this right, I can print a design or photo on any ink jet printer, onto heat transfer paper, and heat press it onto a tshirt. Is this right?

I gather that it works best with pigment based ink, correct?

I now have an HP 6200 all in one printer that I use for my regular printing. Will this work for printing heat transfers?

If so, Where can I get pigment ink for it? Or do I have to buy a special printer?

Also, is there one kind of paper that's better than the others?

My wife asked a very good question when I was trying to explain this to her:  How to you get white on a black tshirt?

I need the answers to all these questions and more.  HELP PLEASE!

thanks,  gene

I don't know if your printer use dye or pigment ink (I'm suspecting most likely dye). Not every printer can use pigment ink, so your best bet is to get a cheap epson. If you're only planning on printing letter size, you can get the WF30 from epson clearance center for $40-50 with free shipping.

As for paper - most of us like JPSS for light shirts and G3 Jet Opaque for dark. You cannot print white (unless you have one of those expensive garment printers or solvent printers), so that's why you use the opaque paper, which is white, and best result is to contour cut the image after printed.

I have an epson rx680, where can i get the ink that your talking about? also for the darks do you mirror the image as you do with the lights? I don't want to jack this post, but these are questions that I had wondered about also.....thanks

I print on transfers using the stock ink that comes with it. It works just fine. We use Inkjet transfer paper both light and dark flavors of it.