I am wondering how your revenue is split.....How much is cut vinyl versus heat applied vinyl?....And how does each category break down?....

Did you really not understand my question?......

What % of your sales are cut vinyl for signs, banners, vehicles, etc?.....

What % of your sales are heat applied vinyl for t-shirts, uniforms, etc?...

I am trying to get some sense of which category has the most potential and where I should direct my effort.....

I wouldn't mess with shirts unless I was screen printing them.  We used to do it way back.  Even now if we decided to do shirts again, I'd find a wholesaler, farm it out and make more than if I did the printing myself.  Plastisol transfers are a nice compromise and actually look better and hold up better than oven dried plastisol.  That's how we handled our regular customers.  We would run a couple hundred plastisol transfers, then just press what they needed when they needed it.  Doing it that way, we could sell them small orders at bulk pricing because the transfers were on the shelf. 

Vinyl is OK for the one-offs, but you always end up with more time in the artwork than you can get out of the shirt. 

Same for me, I don't do many heatpressed vinyl shirts - maybe if the shirt run is less than 10. With full size graphics, there's no way to be competitive. Most of my shirt orders are screen printed.

With that said, I probably have an pretty even 50/50 split with shirts and non-shirts (RTA decals, banners, etc), mainly because I provide a full package for my customers - shirts, stickers, banners, flyers, etc all included.

Yeah, same here too. I used heat press when I first started. Now we screen print everything except for the one-offs. (names too)

For sure focus more on the vinyl sign and decal side. No way you can compete what-so-ever in the shirt industry with heat press.

Good Luck!  :thumbsup:

we are just the other way. we do 100's of shirts a week with vinyl. our gross margin is 30-50% on the big runs and quite a bit more on the shorter runs and 80% on the one offs.

I had an email from someone who did 8,000.00 in sales last weekend (Fri. to Sun.)at a football camp...90% apparel and 10% signs & decals....Lots of 15.00 & 20.00 shirts and 10.00 names on supplied garments.....

If you can get the right to sell at events, that's different. But you have to remember that most of the time, you pay to be a merchant at the event and you give a percentage of your sale to the even organizers as well. And most of the time, it's about who you know to get into those events.

I've done some rich kid sports events, where they can get a basic white tee with the event organizer logo for $10, and every additional tranfer they add or color shirts or different style shirts costs more. I probably grossed close to $8000 in 1 day for a competition with over 200 competitiors.

I am sure paying a fee to an organization must be taken in to consideration when figuring the pricing.....I am set to do a hockey training camp.....I am paying 7.5% of my sales plus an extra 7.50% when using the team's name, logo, etc....I figure my margins are over 80% so no big deal.....

Also, my other half is in the hospital (and on the mend).....I made up a shirt that had the slogan "Do you want to talk to the DOCTOR or to the NURSE who knows what's is going on?"....Got orders for 20+ shirts in 2 days.....

PS...Maybe I should see if I can get the stay extended......lol....

I put my heat press, hat press & color printer into cold storage. It seems that the only thing that was profitable was custom flags as shirts have a very low profit margin yet custom flags are tough to come by.

I get the most use out of my cutter...

RG

Maybe i should break up my recordkeeping a bit to be able to track this a bit better, but im about 15% clothing. Wish it was higher as it is a quick easy profit. But as far as gross amounts it cant compete with doing banners, lettering installs and signs all the time. Them add up fast and orders of 20 to 30 shirts a week dont meet them amounts in the end.

BUT everyone is going to be different, depends on your market, your target buyers and how you would want to grow your business and profession.

I do about 50-50 split as far as work goes, but the Vinyl part of it is more profitable for the amount of work you do. so in dollar amount it would be 30% apparel and 70% vinyl. depending on the season. But at times I can make more per hour doing shirts, if I am doing short run custom work that people want. I do 90% vinyl on shirts, hats, coozies, thongs, aprons also sandblast etching falls in there too, and some screen printing.

It's all in what your willing to spend time working on and using stuff other than vinyl to offset your down time if you have any.

Kevin