Sign in to follow this  
tbertw

24" - 25" Cutter - Which One

Hi, I am interested in a Vinyl Cutter. My probably uses are graphics, signs and t-shirt stuff. It will be a hobby and I am looking forward to learning. I like the concept of Inkscape as the software tool.

My questions are there seem to be three different 24 - 25 inch cutters. They are the Eco Cut, the Gold Cut and MH-721. I am a complete novice on vinyl cutting. What are the differences? I am more interested in something that works and is easy to learn. I am not that motivated by speed.

Some appear to come with software and some do not. Do I need any software other than Inkscape?

My computers are Windows XP and Windows Vista. I do not have serial or parallel ports - I have PLENTY of USB2 ports.

Can I purchase the Vinyl from Michael's (A hobby place like Hobby Lobby)?

thanks in advance for your patience,

Tim - Spring, TX

I didn't know Michaels sold Vinyl. I would by from a sign supply shop or US Cutters themselves.

If you're just starting out I don't think the cutter matters much. With one job it's possible to make enough to pay for your first cutter.

I don't think Vinyl comes in 25 inches anyways. So, it really doesn't matter which  you buy, 24 or 25. At least the 25 is wider.

One thing to keep in mind is your next step. When you get into t-shirts you eventually will make tranfers and print them on your ink or laser jet. You than have to cut around the transfer to make it look good before heat pressing it on your t-shirt.

Some vinyl cutters can contour cut, and save you hours of cutting around the transfer not to mention pain in your four arm and hands.

The Laser point has a laser pointer that follows the design and cuts around it. The cost of a 24 inch cost about the same as an MH-871 and would save you a lot of time.