Sign in to follow this  
Kelly54487

What would you price this job at???

Hi Everyone!

I have a job I have to put a bid in for basically just replacing lettering on 4 signs.

Depending on the price. However.... the customer would like 2 quotes.

Option #1 Simple lettering,weeding and applying new lettering all 1-color

Option #2 Simple lettering all 1-color, weeding, taking off old lettering and applying new lettering.

I will be using Orcal 651. Some signs are 1 line and some are 2. This would be a gravy job if they would pick option #1. The signs would be the following sizes and the customer wants them to be as BIG as possible to fit into the area.

1) 13" x 94"    (2-lines)

2) 23" x 140"  (2-lines)

3) 14" x 64"    (2-lines)

4)  7" x 64"  (1-line)

Any help would be appreciated on this. :thumbsup: I just want to get a ball park figure so I know if I was being fair.Thanks for all your input.

When I question a price I am trying to quote I find it useful to divide the price by the total area of the pieces and get a cost per sq inch figure as a reality check.

Your $450 price and the total area of the job (you could change it to the total area actually covered by vinyl, but I don't have that number) which is 5786 sq. inches gives a price of 7.77 cents per sq. inch.

I have used 10 cents per sq. inch and not missed jobs - so you probably are in good shape at $450. 

The real world will throw you a curve sometimes - they may have a lowball quote - or they may be expecting it to be a lot more and a low price from you will make them question if you are giving them a quality product.  Market research (in your market) is the only way to know for sure what the going rate is in your town - and the only way to be sure you aren't blowing them out with too high prices  - or even worse giving away profits that you could have easily had if you had known what the market will bear.

In the end - are you happy with the profits you will get if you get the job or will you kick yourself if you miss a job you could have had for a few dollars less. 

I think if you NEVER miss a job you are probably working too cheap - if you ALWAYS miss getting work you are for sure too high -- right pricing is somewhere in the middle and for you to determine.

Sorry for the sermon

-Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the sermon LOL... hey I really appreciate your honesty! Thanks for the info.  Very well put Mike! I think if you NEVER miss a job you are probably working too cheap - if you ALWAYS miss getting work you are for sure too high -- right pricing is somewhere in the middle and for you to determine.

If you take the 5786 sq inch's divide by 144 to get sq ft = 40.180 sq ft x $12 a sq ft = $482. Or at $10 per sq ft = $401 or average at $11 = $441.98

Now when it comes to getting the old glue off bleach works fastest / that's where you need the higher price. I'd figure 2/3 of a 24 x 10 yard roll @ $21 plus $10 shipping or $21.66 vinyl cost . Quality is a Bargin at any price.

Kelly54487  :thumbsup:  hope you get the job and make a nice profit.  I think the variable to watch is how long it takes to remove the old letters - and what kind of shape the substrate is in when you clean it up to re-apply.  If I were quoting it I would want to test a section to see how it comes off and if you need to refinish the substrate because of fading or deterioration of the finish where the vinyl didn't protect it from the elements.

gooddeal I never tried bleach for glue removal - how do you mix - or do you use it straight?  good comment on the material cost estimate you used -- I have several pricing applications and I still like to double check to make sure the automatic calculations aren't haywire.  Any way you want to figureit is fine as long as it makes sense to you. 

-Mike

Thanks for all your replys, I really appreciate you all taking the time! I do this out of my home so I have no overhead. My prices are pretty reasonable I feel. I e-mailed the customer the quote and told them $350.00 if they remove all the old vinyl and clean up the sign and $450.00 If I have to. Either way as long as I make a profit, I'm happy with that.

:thumbsup: Thanks again everyone for your input