Sign in to follow this  
wetstuff

I need some super-sticky vinyl.

I have been cutting simple letters/numbers for a couple of months using a Summa cutter and Oracal 651 running Mac/Flexi Starter ...everything is easy and fine..

Except .. I have been putting some of these letters on 3M reflective cloth tape. It seems to stick pretty well...but, I had one customer 'pick' at the letters and bitch that; "I can peel these off?!" 

Soooo .. have you folks found a gloss Black that is more gummy that 651?  I can overlay some clear plastic on the letters, but would prefer not.  'Hope you have some advice.  Thanks.

Jim/Salisbury MD

If they want something they can't peel off, you'll have to find a way to print it.  Even the best quality vinyl can be peeled off.

What type of surface?

rrc is right, vinyl will always be "pickable."

I've had some success with materials not ordinarily advisable to run through your cutter. If you are willing to risk wasting a blade there are high adhesive tapes you can cut with some careful finesse. (This is by no means a production method, more of a one or two time need.)

If you have access to a rotary engraver, Gravograph makes an engravable label material called Gravofoil. Its a lot thicker than Vinyl (.008") and these wouldn't be cut out letters. They would be engraved on to a piece of material. I use it throughout the hospital where I work in areas that have some fairly high requirements.

.... I guess instinctively knew any azzh/le can trash our work.  651 sticks reasonably well.  I think this customer was expecting embroidery which I did for 10yr prior.  I'm glad I sold that machine!    In the Old Days I used a stencil machine (still have it) but that font is waaay too 1940 for my products.

Shrike .. the surface is that 3M reflective ribbon you see on safety vests, etc.  The reflection comes from glass beads, and tho' not sheet glass, it still is pretty smooth. 

Thanks guys, I'm glad you were there to ask.  Cheers.

Jim