Sign in to follow this  
leeandjude

ctn630 wattage

hi,

im currently converting my van so i can go mobile doing my graphics and i need to buy a inverter to run my creation ctn630.  does anyone know what wattage it will draw...even as a rough guide?

thanks

Well 10amps would give you plenty but to get a actual number instead of a guess you will need to do more testing - you will need an amp clamp and see what the actual current draw is

10 amps X 110 volts = 1100 watts -

if you plan on doing heat press 20 amps is needed then double that -

I'm an industrial electrician and deal a lot with formulas and I have some knowledge about this 

Just another thought if you use too much current then you may have to up size your alternator - using more power than what the alternator can put out - I don't think it would be an issue if your just cutting if you end up doing a heat press then you could have problems

user Sheister had another post also, where he was giving play by play info of doing this. ,,  see if you can go back and dig that out.

Thanks guys! i purchased a 350W invertor from ebay thinking this was ok (cheap brand though). well i did the full van install today, took all day too!

the invertor lasted 10 mins before going pop...that was with the cutter on (although not cutting) and a small 19" LCD monitor and some computer speakers.

It is supposed to have a overload cut off which is what i though had happened. but its not working at all now. Tried to send it back to the guy on ebay but guess what? he is no longer registered as from yesterday...he did have over 65,000 feedback too.

so now im going to buy a more powerfull one...does this look ok?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380243323782&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

get a good one, a cheap one doesnt have true RMS - i wouldnt go over +- 5% that is critical and sinewave has to be of quality -

you dont want to send bad voltage to your cutter -

RMS +- 5% it could be sending 104.5 volts to 115.5 volts

the sinewave is a few things peek to peek and distance between the sign wave - 60hz you dont want it to be off of that

the voltage difference most hardware can handle a little error

but the 60hz i would get one that was true 60hz and not a cheap one that had a big error that can and will do damage  

I have read it right through...looks like i will have to save a bit more to get a pure sine wave inverter. will be a few months yet though  :thumbsup:

thanks for any info posted people!  ;D

I did read most of the other post - some good things in there but some were a little off -

I do however like the idea of putting in a ups in between the inverter and devices. Worst case that I can see could happen is over time you burn up the inverter ok big deal

Its cheaper than a laptop and a cutter.

Guest manwayvan

good info! Ohm's Law will never fail ya. :thumbsup: but poor input voltage will. Get a good invertor and up your altenator as well or just run a generator

Northern Tools has some pure sine inverters here's a link

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_alternative-renewable-energy+power-inverters+pure-sinewave

I have a few of them in my trailer also have 2 generators

I agree with tinaski  a UPS between the inverter or gen set would add protection with voltage regulation if nothing else

hope this helps