Sign in to follow this  
Guest Schramm

Making a Vintage Chapman Mirror out of float glass

Guest Schramm

Well I thought I would share the photos as I do this one.  I have a place for this on my wall already.  Now this is only the beginning of the process.  As you can see from the pics, I am starting with clear float glass 1/4" thick.  The product on the glass right now in the pics is a Hartco like product which is 10 mils and designed for deeper sandblasting.  In the near future you will see pics of this in my blasting area and I am going a little deeper then 1/16" deep on these so that I can gild it and backpaint the gilding without issue.  While I have done a lot of mirrors like these over the years this one is a little different in that I am blasting the designs and the lettering so that it floats in the mirror and really stands out.  Normally I would just use spray mask and a paint that I use that fuses to glass.

Guest YHC

Nice layout Schramm,

I like how the florist designs flow around the font.

Guest Schramm

While I would love to take credit for it, it is not mine.  It was originally done in the early 1900's by the Rawson & Evans company.  They were the innovators of much of what gets done with glass today.  There stuff was HUGE!  Mine is 40"T x 16"W  Once framed and with crown molding it will be 5' tall.  Total project because of vacation will take about 2.5 weeks as long as I work on it at least 1.5 hours a day.

I can sell the finished piece in Chicago for about $2000-2500 but these showpieces get me a lot of business so I keep them! 

Nice layout :thumbsup:

did you use any old sign as a reference or is that an original design ?

Guest Schramm

This someone else digitized...

The one that I spent a ton of time is the Titanic Mirror that I did about 3 months ago.  The panel shown below is a actual replica of the RMS Titanic Boarding Pass and took over 100 hour and a bunch of different pictures of the original to replicate.  Now I have it in ready to cut vector art.  The panel below (which is now framed) was the prototype for a large 28"W x 42"T Mirror that I am just finishing the frame for.

EDIT: Pictures removed now that they accomplish their mission :)  :thumbsup:

Guest Schramm

Yes those would be Roderick's mirrors, however you should of posted a link as his site is copywritten and you shouldn't take pics off of it but instead post the link for others to see.  Roderick is an amazing artist.

I am confused, wwpro would be violating copyright by posting the pictures, but you can reproduce the mirror? this does not make any sense to me, what am I missing?

Guest Schramm

Well I cannot believe I have to explain why not to post other peoples pics on the internet but here we go...

The mirror I am reproducing I have the RIGHTS to use the art not to mention there was NO COPYWRITES in 1902 or 1903 when this mirror was produced making the art royalty free!

The pictures from Rodericks website are owned by him and cannot freely been taken off of a website and posted on a whim.  Once you produce art, it is your property and belongs to you.  No one has the right to just go on your website and take the pics anytime they want.  The proper way to do this is by copying the link to the page where the pictures can be found.  If you notice WWPRO posted the 3 pics with no credit to where they come from.

Food for thought, I won a $10,000 website as a company stole pics from my site, posted them on there site and they were MY COMPITITION.  I proved without doubt that I lost business to them based on the use of my pictures and closed down there site in 3 months and they are out of business.  Now this is not going to happy by what wwpro did however no one has the right to use your pictures or take your images from your site. 

While the image is royalty free, you need to buy it OR reproduce it yourself and you cannot just borrow it from someone else.  I think a lot of people had better start reading on dos and donts if you are going to be cutting things for a living as you will get you butt sued right off!

Guest Schramm

I am confused, wwpro would be violating copyright by posting the pictures, but you can reproduce the mirror? this does not make any sense to me, what am I missing?

By the way the copyright I am talking about is his websites copyright where it states all photos are owned by Wall Jewelry and cannot be copied nor can the content be used.  That clearly means ANYTHING on his website (ie.. photos, videos, testimonials and so on is his property).  Do you own a website, it is written on every website I have ever been in.

It is no different then me posting pics here, just because I share photos doesn't mean you can take them and post them on your website...  Its just common sense don't you think?

Honestly, I don't give a shit, tell him to sue me.

You're getting really cocky and annoying lately, seems like you were bitten by one of the jerks101's zombies.

Also I'm showing off HIS work, not trying to take credit for it. At the end I'm doing him a favor advertising his work.

Guest Schramm

Jump down your own throughout, learn how to use the internet.  How are you helping him out?  You took pictures off of his site and GAVE HIM NO CREDIT!  How does that help him?  I know those pictures are there as does anyone that does what I do.  If you do not read what I write then don't say I'm being cocky as I basically said I didn't think that you were doing that but you cannot take pics off of anyones website.

I think that it is better that I stay off this site as this is a learning site and not a professional one!  Never have issues with crying little bitches like the ones on here!  Cant post anything without someone thinking I'm cocky!  Honestly lack of knowledge on your part and knowledge on mine does not make me cocky it makes me professional.  Lack of knowledge on your part and then getting mad when someone says DONT STEAL just makes you stupid!

How does one "win" a website by a copyright infringment and defamanation suit? Furthermore what would you win? The domain? A cd of the html files? I am kinda confused on that statement and how that would play out.

I am a photographer and know my fair trade laws pretty good but as far as getting possesion of a domain name on these grounds is kind of unheard of unless they were using your registerd name or loge to do said advertising.

The photos he posted here first of all were not protected in any way, said party did not nor will not lose assests from these being used in the manner that they were not claimed to be from any other source and were in no means used to advertise or promote his sales or buisness.