Sign in to follow this  
Guest Schramm

When is enough too much???

Guest Schramm

Well I had a high end client want a laundry door sandblasted and I had to come up with a custom design.  They wanted me to take one off another website that specializes in sandblasting cabinets but I refused.  This is what I came up with but I have tried everything to talk them out of it.  WHY YOU ASK?  This is a $10K door.  First it was custom made out of mahogany, then the panel that I am blasting is german antique which was custom made to 84" (glass cost is $2,000), it will then get laminated to a sheet of seedy glass and when all is said and done the door is close to $9900.  The reason I don't want to do it isn't because it will break but more on the line that I think that it will take away from the over all look.

I have blasted a lot of glass for this customers home and I can say that they pay great but this is the first one I did not want to do...

post-0-12986554495392_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986554513255_thumb.jpg

Guest Schramm

I know the cost for me to blast the design including including design, cutting, layout etching and sealing is $350.  In comparison to how much the door cost it isn't much but I just think with that much money invested that they are wanting to set it off with etching?:thumbsup:  WTF?  If $9900 doesn't set it off maybe they should of built a door out of $1 bills or even $5s

I feel it's up to the customer to decide what's too much.  We all have different standards.  As long as they are spending money, why not put some in your own pocket.  :thumbsup:

Side note - I don't think I would put vinyl on a $10,000 door.  Just my 2 cents.

F EM!!!!! If they can blow 10 G's on a door to a laundry room then hit em for 2 G's to etch the glass and steal all the booze while yer there!!! LOL!

(kidding dont actually steal the booze)  :thumbsup:

Guest Marek

Well I think it's up to the customer in the end . I personally would talk them out of it just because the logo isn't symmetrical - the folded towel on one side throws it off for me . I would be very carefull of the design I put on a $9000 door . You don't want it to look cheap or gaudy . WTF am I saying ...I'm never gonna see a 9k door . lol .Really Schramm , I've seen a bunch of your work and it is top shelf . I think that this is because you have a good eye for balance and detail . If you think (like I do ) that it's not gonna look right just go ahead and tell them that !! The last thing that you need is to do the job and have the customer bragging to his friends and potential customers that Schramm did this 9k door for me that looks like Sh!te . just my $.02

Guest Schramm

Well I did everything in my power not to do it but the client loves the design!  I don't know if it is the design or it being simetrical or not but more on the lines of I think that beautiful glass is enough.  I am very confident that it will turn out fine but when you have all this going on any way why add more?  Funny thing is that they insisted that I was being silly.  I guess for me if it is beautiful on it's own why give it a facelift?  Maybe I will video tape this one if I remember.