Sign in to follow this  
Radioactiveman

colors

Is there any way in inkscape to change colors on different parts of an image,  say you scan a logo that is all black, but they want the outside line to be red and the inside stuff to be white.  is that possible?  or to be able to break different parts of the logo up. thanks

G'day,

If the elements in the image/logo are all separate this is the way I would tackle it.  I have no idea if it's technically correct but it works for me.

First make sure the image is vectorised, then duplicate it as many times as colours you need and a few more just in case.

Click on one of the duplicates and node edit out all the parts you don't want i.e. all but the outside line.

Change the colour using the fill/stroke

Repeat the process on the other duplicates, leaving only the element of the design you want, changing the individual colours on each one.

When you have all the parts in the colours you want, realign them.  You could place all the parts over a spare duplicate to help line them up and once you have them in all the right places bring the duplicate to the top and delete, then group the whole image. Or you could use align/distribute, whichever one works the best, it depends on the logo.

Delete any duplicates you didn't end up using and there you have it!

Clear as mud?!  Seriously, I hope that helps. ;)

The trick I use for aligning them when done is to move the one I'm working on over a set distance. You do this for each copy and then you have the all perfectly aligned when you are finished modifying them.

Bill