Sign in to follow this  
cornball

R u using a Laserpoint 24 and SignCut in So. CA?

I've been struggling with my contour cutting cuts on my new LP24. I've used SCP and SBE software with no luck. Seveal posts were posted on this forum to resolve my issue(s), but it's painfully obvious that I'm getting nowhere. My visual learning style is really getting the best of me... I'm really close to success on SBE but...I think it's my PC, which sucks; however, I'd like to use my G5 Powermac tower PPC CPU for all of my vinyl cutting needs.

Anyway....If you're setup and operating successfully with a LP24 and SignCut Pro, I'd like to schedule a meeting to compare notes and visually see your operation, if you don't mind?

I'm more of a visual learner.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,17489.0.html

how far did you get with this new bie manual using a PC.

where is the hick up?

IF REGULAR CUTTING IS NOT WORKING WE HAVE SOLVE THAT FIRST.

we have to trouble shoot step by step and we will succeed in that i am sure.

BTW .................SBE is not running on a mac.

i tried to add an ,ai 3 layer file but is to large to post.

in illustrator go to window and select layers, a box will show with layers used.

in scpro leave cutter witdh on 24" this must always be wider then the loaded media.

if scpro sample contour does not work make your own small 5 x5 cm contour cut file.

you can also download the trail for corel x5 and use the sample and manual i made for X4.

paco

My problem is this....I've downloaded the 'Noob' NEWBIE manual and followed it as much as I could using (Illustrator), that is. The results I've been getting using the sample files, test cuts, and my designs are really close to success...meaning the cut will output or print to the cutter on the A4 media. The pen plot lines are skewed away from the design as if it wasn't calibrated correctly....and it's frustrating because I followed every step to the letter in every tutorial. There were assumptions to made or questionable steps in some of the tut's, such as "the roundcorner marks....for easy navigation and setup on the laserpoint for real cutting" this step is using Corel; however, I'm using Illustrator and adding crop marks don't work in the same way.

When I start the test contour cut print on the cutter (to the contour lines on the design), they are skewed. The reg marks are plotted inside, outside, or simply skewed from the inkjet printed reg marks, therefore, the contour lines are plotted with the same skew. HOW DO YOU ADJUST THE SKEW IN SCP? SBE is very clear in describing how to adjust alignment to the contour line; however, I don't want to use SBE cause my "weapon of choice" in my decal business will be a Mac system. Based on the "Advanced Contour Cutting" thread/link document you suggested in a previous thread, once SCP is setup there's no need for adjustment thereafter.

What do you need to know to help me get these problems resolved? If you need the sample .eps or .ai file I'm using, I can send via email or PM?

Thanks!

Clear explained.

So general cutting is no problem.

Your problem is the deviation of the reg marks printed and the reg marks used for cutting.

In signcut pro I set the reg mark offset to 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you do the same it will help.

Do not think about drawn regmarks anymore.

You can change the standrd offset of 10mm to any other value and perform your CC and you will see the deviation will change accordingly.

back to basic.

Take a portrait A4 size new design.

Make in illustrator a design with a cut layer.

I assume you know how to make layers?

Make a second  layer with data.

Put as start some star shape vector on there of around 5 x 5 cm.

Copy the start shape also on the cutlaye too at same origin so just copy and paste.

Put around the star shape a  10 x 10 cm square on the cutlayer centered around the stars shape.

In the right hand lower corner put a simple round vector of 1 cm diameter on the data layer.

Now you know that we have 2 layers..:-)

Send all layers to your printer.

Put the A4 size in your plotter portrait orientated with the small round vector in the the right hand side lower corner just as you saw on the monitor.

In Illustrator switch off the data layer.

Send the cutlayer with FILE, SEND TO SIGNCUT to SCPRO.

Your design will show portrait on the monitor but SCPRO needs it in landscape.

So use the rotation button in SCPRO and rotate the file so round vector is in the left hand bottom corner of the screen. 90 degree turn clockwise.

Then go to advanced contour cut and follow the steps.

Your origin First marker is the corner of the square shape printed with the round vector nearby.

If this regmarks is choosen correct and you hit return the laser pinter should run to the next corner of the square. Depending of the skew you loaded the printed file it should be near the Y axis line.

If the distance to this corner is more then 2 mm away you have not done what I asked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Try and let me know.

If all 3 regamrks are corect it will draw the pen over the already printed lines.

Paco

post-3682-12986554020965_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986554036325_thumb.jpg

...However, there was a little bit of language barrier ;~)

A couple of questions pertaining to your instructions, just for my clarity:

You mentioned..

"In signcut pro I set the reg mark offset to 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

When you say "reg mark offset", do you mean Blade Offset, located in "Cutter settings"?

"You can change the standrd offset of 10mm to any other value and perform your CC and you will see the deviation will change accordingly."

"Standard offset" Do you mean Laser-X or -Y Offset values in Contour cutting Settings?

"Then go to advanced contour cut and follow the steps.

Your origin First marker is the corner of the square shape printed with the round vector nearby."

My advanced Contour cut function doesn't give you the option to align markers.

I'm sorry, you have to give me the terminologies or function titles as they are on SCP....it'll minimize my confusion hence less questions... :thumbsup:;)

Using Simple CC process, I setup the alignment on the corner of the square like described, the laser moves to the opposite square corner, but moves too far (about .25"). you mentioned if the distance is more than 2mm away, I did something wrong.

I'll tell you what....is there any way possible you can send me the step by step screenshots of your instructions below....send them to me via email

As taken from the manual

Click on Settings, Settings, Cutting

See my previous screen shot in this thread the yellow marked are those mentioned.

In the contourcutting section (is lower part in the screen): Mark the option: use 3 point calibration Set registrationmark size to 0 mm

"You can change the standard offset of 10mm to any other value and perform your CC and you will see the deviation will change accordingly."

Sorry this is the registrationmark size value mentioned above which standard is 10 mm and now needs to be 0 mm when using my sample file.

If you alter this value you will see that also with simple contour cut the second reg mark might be over run when the head moves to it when leaving the first reg mark. play with this registration mark size to see what happens.

The manual in the instructional section already has all the screenshots needed.... ;)

Let me know if you succeeded or not.

Paco

Paco.....

OMG!!! OH...MY...GOD!! (that's what we say in the states when we have a breakthru!!!  ;)

It's wooooorrrrking!!!

U....R.....DA MAN!!! (another US slang phrase... ;)!!)

I used the file you sent (How to contourcut with Corel X4-Illu CS3 and SignCut Pro with three marks) with the included file. That revision worked better for me than the original version I printed a month or so ago.

The only minor miss was when I imported the contour cut into SCP, it specified that the import had 2 overlay duplicates; it asked to delete or not....I deleted them, but it show all the layers, not the contourcut only (like the screenshot). Which was fine because it WORKED!!!!!

Thanks....!!!!

Corny,

In Holland we say FINALLY.......................... PUF.

Nice to hear you broke the thin line and crossed it.

When you go to contour cut with the sample file you have to block the object and text layer.

If you do not it will mention the duplicate objects.

Disable it and try again. I do not know in the sample file how to block from printing (Plotting).

I converted this from Corel X4 to CS3.

Sorry I am not known to CS3, I appologize.

X4 rules for me.

If someone knows how to stop the import of that object layer temporary let me know.

Main thing with this manual is to know what you NEED to do yourselve for your fist contour cut.

Paco

Ok, I've been asking for help in the 'SCP' area for a couple days. Glad I found this thread!

I don't really understand the process fully here, but I have an LP24 and SCP and Illustrator. I have a new file I want to contour cut.

First, how do I make a 'cut layer' in Illustrator? I am still kind of new to Illustrator, but I know how to make basic shapes, deal with strokes and fills, etc. I don't know how to make a cut layer.

I made a separate layer with my contour lines, is that all it is? I know that I can disable 'print' from certain layers. Is that it? Can someone explain a 'cut' layer in Illustrator (assuming it's anything other than a regular layer)?

Paco, from what I understand, I don't need to worry about hand-drawn registration marks?

Cornball, I am in SoCal. OMG if you get help me get this working I would be very appreciative. I am near Valencia, where are you? If you're close enough I wouldn't mind seeing your process...or I would love to even see a video recording of your process. It would help tremendously. I am a visual learner as well (artist) and all of this obtuse explanation is losing me. For instance, when I calibrate my laserpoint, do I need to put those numbers anywhere, or are they stored forever in Signcut? Do I need to calibrate every time I want to contour cut?

Could you break it down the LP24 contour cut process for me as simply as possible using SCP? I find the language barrier confusing too at times. It seems so simple, but somewhere there's a critical step I am getting wrong.  I am trying to follow what Paco is saying, but the way he's saying to orient the image in SCP doesn't work at all....so I guess I need to get some more instruction here.

I've made some shapes on an 8.5 x 10 document in Illustrator. I made two layers. Top layer is contour (cut) lines, and the bottom is my print shapes. I printed the shapes and then put that into my plotter, but when I try to do 3 axis alignment in SCP, it feeds the paper right out of my plotter. I don't know why, but the plotter insists on moving a lot everytime I select a registration mark with the laser and hit 'next'. 3-axe registration is out of the question if the plotter can't even hold the sheet of paper. Do I need to adjust the document  size in SCP? I've been using an 8.5 by 11 size.

I see Paco that you linked a JPG of some values, but I shouldn't be using those exact values, should I? I understand the reg mark size should be zero, but what about the other values? When I try to use 3 point calibration, my paper comes right out of the plotter when it tries to go to the rearmost reg mark, but I already read that we shouldn't care about drawn registration marks? Ugh. So confusing.

I need help, and in clear, concise English with nothing left out (I won't be offended if you explain too much). :D

Thanks you guys!!

NukleoN

**UPDATE** I got it working! I read the thread by Paco explaining the 3-point calibration method in SignCut. It works great. :D

That's AWESOME you got it to work, NukleoN!!

Did the tut answer the questions, above in your previous thread post i.e. "cut" layer creation, hand drawn reg marks, etc.? All I know is every(decal) job I have from this point on I will be using the tut's setup as my template...because it's proven to work now.

You're in Valencia, huh.....I may be contacting you to do some design work in the future. I have your email and website info already. I'm not sure if my store site url is in my signature, but just google "CornyTees" and there I am.

That's AWESOME you got it to work, NukleoN!!

Did the tut answer the questions, above in your previous thread post i.e. "cut" layer creation, hand drawn reg marks, etc.? All I know is every(decal) job I have from this point on I will be using the tut's setup as my template...because it's proven to work now.

You're in Valencia, huh.....I may be contacting you to do some design work in the future. I have your email and website info already. I'm not sure if my store site url is in my signature, but just google "CornyTees" and there I am.

Cornball!

Yeah I am excited. I literally spent ALLLLL weekend trying to get this to work, and finally had a breakthrough Monday morning after reading Paco's tutorial on 3-point calibration.

Here were a couple points which threw me off, and clarifications:

I thought that there was something called a 'cut layer' in Illustrator. Not so. It's just a regular layer where you store all your contour lines. This is just to make it easier to separate contours from your graphics or whatever else. The layers allow you to hide everything and send your contour (by itself) to SignCut. I usually delete everything but my Contour layer before sending to SignCut.

The 3-point calibration method Paco explains has a bounding box used for calibration. The corners of that box are your registration points. You can later put your own graphics (and their contours) in the box and keep re-using the box as your calibration in SignCut.

Paper seems to want to bunch up sometimes coz it's so thin. I found one way to load it better is to load the back first then feed it to the front, to make sure it rolls where it needs to. Then, before you cut, use the plotter to roll it to where you want the origin (lower right hand corner of the bounding box).

Setting the origin wrong will mean jogging won't always work correctly. I found this out the hard way too.

A USB numeric keypad is worth its weight in gold when you're lining up your laser to the calibration points. Hitting the 'enter' key advances to the next point. It's magically delicious when your computer keyboard doesn't allow you to see your plotter alignment easily.

Corn if you need designwork hit me up. My site is listed in my sig, and you can see my website from there with my work. I am freelancing and available!

Thanks for your help too.

before you cut, use the plotter to roll it to where you want the origin (lower right hand corner of the bounding box).

Always OUTSIDE and LOWER of the bounding box.

If it is to close to the box and the paper is skewed you have not enough space to use jog the laserpoint to the first or second mark.

Just design your graphic as you found out with two different layers.

one layer for the cutting lines and the bounding box.

one layer with your objects to be printed.

Once you finished with your design from A6 to A3 size or higher draw a boundry box around the design and place this on the cut layer.

So no need to use my template! You can do it yourselves................

Enlarge the boundry box to the size you need to contour cut.

It cant be more simple.

Cheers, Paco