Sign in to follow this  
Nu Image

Vinyl Lettering and Graphics removal

Hey guys,

How do you guys price removing graphics and lettering? I have a customer with a 16 foot trailer that has graphics on both sides and the back. And he wants them removed and the trailer relettered. Also are there any tricks in removing the old stuff that might make life a little easier while doing this. Thanks for any opinions.

Tony

Nu Image

Shop rate per hour for actual hours spent. Best way to lose money fast in this biz is to quote cheap on vinyl removal.

I quoted a job that way recently for a truck name and dot numbers on two doors... owner and his buddy decided to do it.. The DOT numbers  almost fell off, but the company name took them the rest of the day to remove.. I think they learned why I wouldn't do it for $25.

Also.....inform them that there may be damage to the paint when you remove old graphics, or hidden damage under the vinyl.... and you are not responsible for that..

I worked at an auto-body shop for a number of years and had to do plenty of graphics removal. The only trick to getting vinyl or other decals off is heat, no chemicals are needed. A blow dryer or heat gun will help lift even the worst cemented down graphics. Imagine a dark colored vehicle sitting in the direct sun on a hot day, where it is almost too hot to touch or at least hold your hand on for more than a few seconds. This is the approximate temperature at which most adhesives begin to relax. If any adhesive remained after the graphics were removed, denatured alcohol on a soft cloth was used to take that off if necessary.

Guest kenya

+1..... heat usually does the job. I've removed graphics that's been on for years & a heat gun works the best.  Then I use goo off to clean the residue.  ;D