Sign in to follow this  
pyrophire

Asura?

I just started working at our news paper doing graphic ads, we get in pdfs and files that are not vectors. When they come in, we drop them in this processing folder called Asura and they come out as vector eps files. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard about it before, I'm going to take some personal files to work to see what it exactly does to them.

If this works the way it does, it could be very useful for those of you who need vector images from non-vector files w/o having to manual process everything.

PDF file is a cuttable vector to an extent

if you drag and drop a jpeg into a pdf then its not ( in normal software)

but an image built as a pdf is a vector

do you have a link to Asura

The PDF's we process at work have jpg's in them, as well as tiff, gif and other non vector files

Just because they come out as .eps files does not mean they are true vector or cuttable.  I don't see any reason why a newspaper would need to convert jpgs or pdfs to true vectors, just a common .eps format.

Guest YHC

Reading a bit on the site I posted. I believe the program is designed to control ink useage.

Offset printing and vinyl cutting are 2 different monsters. For that matter, commercial offset and newsprint printing are 2 different monsters also. I would assume that the rip you are using prefers an eps workflow so you are converting the files to eps and probably dropping the dpi down to something that is usable for newsprint. I worked in the offset printing field for almost 20 years and was laid off a few years back because of the economy. Now there are no jobs in the field around here and the ones that do pop up are not willing to pay much.