Sign in to follow this  
sirquack

Newb Question

I have a JPG which has essentially three colors. I want to do an EPS of the black and red for cutting, but I am seeming to completely lose it when I try to do a Trace path. Anyone willing to help a newb with his problem?

My end goal is to end up with a two color sticker with red overlaying the black. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/327T5np9TfpRp-Zwl0nKOg?feat=directlink

ok that isnt too bad

when you do a trace you want the red to change to white

you will then have a 2 color white and black - but when you cut the white put in red vinyl

That helps a little. But how do I get it to do the trace of the separate colors? I choose the image and try to use edge detect and threshold, but it gives me essentially a black image with no separate layer for the red(white)?

I have always worked in single color and want to begin to work with multicolor art work.

it will not give you sperate layers for each color

that is where it gets fun do a trace then copy paste it in the same window - then take out the nodes to make one layer -- ie if you want the black take out all the nodes for the red then you will have a black layer - then take out all the black nodes then you will have a red layer - put them on top of each other wala you have you layers

or if you have problems with that - takin out the nodes can be a pain at times - vector it - you will then be left with an image take your square circle and other items block out the area that you dont want for a layer - you want black layer then block out all the red (use color white) cant cut that becouse the sqares will cut -- but if you exprt that as a picture then save it and re vector the white will be gone you will have you black layer do the same for the red

im not at home right now to do it but it looks like it would be easier to trace the to vector off of that trace all the black - then trace all the red

Great, now I am really confused. :) I did get to a point in the EPS where I got two separate cut layers, but it appears it want me to cut red as the underlying layer and place black over the top, which is the opposite of what I would want to do since I am going to be using reg marks and want to overlay the red on the black which is more logical to me at this point.

For tracing multiple colors, select your jpeg, choose trace bitmap.  Now choose colors from the bottom half, set it to 3 (1 for background, and one for each other color)  Uncheck stack scans, might wanna uncheck smooth too (didn't do this in my screenshot).  Then take the vector it gives you, ungroup it, delete the background color, and remove the nodes for the next you don't need.

The results will probably need cleanup, it may be faster on a logo like this to manually trace it, but this is how you trace in multiple colors using inkscape. :)

colors.png

Thx Zim. That makes a ton of sense. I will try it and see what I come up with.

i tried that and i couldnt get a pic that looks good here is what i did i might need some cleaning up

It won't...its too grainy in this particular iamge, ideally you would just redraw it, I just thought for future reference for him and others I would show the autotrace.

o ok got ya - yes your completely right - its very grainy the pic is a poor one - the one i did i used inkscape - but did more than just trace a quick tear apart and put back together - but yes if its a good pic you can use the colors option

I appreciate the help guys. With the original file it works a whole lot better since it is MUCH larger. The process works perfectly with the larger file.