Sign in to follow this  
reelguitars

Finished 4 color Screen Press

Well, I worked on it for a couple of days and finally got it done.  A little flat black paint went a long way in making it look a lot less home made than it actually is.  Now, if I can figure out how to make a flash or conveyor dryer, I'll be in business.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Really nice! I have been kicking the idea around of finding some plans and making my own.

You are going to want to use something different than that painted board for your platen.  It will be impossible to clean off the adhesive, which is necessary from time to time.  I'd recommend getting a piece of melamine shelf board (or a piece of cheap furniture) and using that.  It is very easy to clean and very flat and smooth.  The grain of the plywood on your current platen will show when you print.

Good luck!  :huh:

Guest YHC

Looks good :huh:

I've had these same plans from that site for about a month. Just saving up the $150 for the hardware. Sucks being broke lol. I'm getting ready to pick up the hardware this weekend.

You are going to want to use something different than that painted board for your platen.  It will be impossible to clean off the adhesive, which is necessary from time to time.  I'd recommend getting a piece of melamine shelf board (or a piece of cheap furniture) and using that.  It is very easy to clean and very flat and smooth.  The grain of the plywood on your current platen will show when you print.

Good luck!  :huh:

Plans called for the shelf board. He must have just used the spare wood he had left.

Just a thought could you use a piece of cabinet top laminate glued with contact cement to the top of plywood this stuff if corrrect piece is bought would be very smooth If its possible lowes and Home depot sells these Hope this helps jhelms

Yes I would think you could use a formica laminate piece.  Basically what they are saying is that you would want to use something that is nonporous so you could easily clean it after use.

Press looks great!  Nice job. :huh:

Maybe application tape on top of the platen as it is right now, then remove when done. :thumbsup:

Is the press shown designed to self index? Guess I'm asking if it has a detent that it centers on or if it drifts at each position?

Guest YHC

If I'm understanding you right, the center top section spins on a lazy Susan like found under a bar stool.

Is the press shown designed to self index? Guess I'm asking if it has a detent that it centers on or if it drifts at each position?

It's tough to see in the photos, but there are boards on the sides of the arm that supports the platen that center and keep the spinning rack from moving when you drop the screen.  This is the biggest drawback to this design IMO, but it can be improved relatively easily.